ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Anti-Wikipedia-Beg methods?

<< < (2/2)

TaoPhoenix:
Try Greesemonkey browser extension/plugin (use a regex pattern)  :Thmbsup:

edit: http://userscripts.org/scripts/search?q=wikipedia+donate&submit=
-mitzevo (December 15, 2013, 02:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh somehow Greasemonkey has scared me in the past as seeming "too hard to use" - scripts and all that. But it doesn't look so bad! So I installed one of the scripts from your suggestion link ... but now it will take time to see if it's that script or my other trick working!

The "beg banners" don't come up every page load, so it might be a few days before I start to get some page results!

But for a "quick common resource" that banner has been pretty annoying... so I'll quietly keep poking at this!

Update:
For the moment this works! So for "efficiency" I'll leave Greasemonkey off until I need it later for something else.

I'll report later if Wiki updates etc and the banners come back, but for now it works. (It appeared every browser start with adblock off. With it on and that rule on, it did take a min to parse, but it works.)

Rev01Yeti:
Not trying to sound mean, but I think the world's number one free encyclopedia site asking for (not "begging for") donations once in a while (once a year, intermittently) with a simple block of text isn't something people should be annoyed of so much as to figure out ways to block it. Think of all the benefits they mean to people, and indeed they run an enormous infrastructure and several sites which are pretty much funded only by donations, so they sure need to ask their (non-paying) users/visitors to chip in whatever amount of cash if they can and if they feel like it. You would do the same if you would run a global, advertisement-free website like Wikipedia for the public's benefit. They aren't much different than DonationCoder, they are just involved in way bigger goals.

TaoPhoenix:
Not trying to sound mean, but I think the world's number one free encyclopedia site asking for (not "begging for") donations once in a while (once a year, intermittently) with a simple block of text isn't something people should be annoyed of so much as to figure out ways to block it. Think of all the benefits they mean to people, and indeed they run an enormous infrastructure and several sites which are pretty much funded only by donations, so they sure need to ask their (non-paying) users/visitors to chip in whatever amount of cash if they can and if they feel like it. You would do the same if you would run a global, advertisement-free website like Wikipedia for the public's benefit. They aren't much different than DonationCoder, they are just involved in way bigger goals.
-Rev01Yeti (December 15, 2013, 05:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not once a year. Notice my start to this thread. Nov 14. It's now a month later. It's not intermittent. It's every Wiki page load. (Maybe it "remembers you said no" if you have history and cookies on or something, but with my fairly typical set of anti-track tools on, it doesn't.) And it's a huge ugly banner!  >:(

Tuxman:
I usually just add appropriate "display:none" styles to my Wikipedia account's CSS file. Easier to manage.  :up:

Rev01Yeti:
It's not once a year. Notice my start to this thread. Nov 14. It's now a month later. It's not intermittent. It's every Wiki page load. (Maybe it "remembers you said no" if you have history and cookies on or something, but with my fairly typical set of anti-track tools on, it doesn't.) And it's a huge ugly banner!  >:(-TaoPhoenix (December 15, 2013, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I meant once every year, for a month or so (it depends on actual donations), and I don't see it with every page load, but I'm logged in. Not adblocking it and not told it to hide. True, I don't value my privacy as much as to block every and all preference and tracking cookies on Earth either, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it all the time, just rarely.

It could be considered ugly and/or annoying, but they don't really have other methods to ask visitors to donate for keeping up the whole project. They have all the right to put anything on their site, and it could be much more annoying if they wanted to imho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version