ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

myWOT uninstall nightmare

<< < (3/6) > >>

bit:
It won't allow 'delete' of the entries.
So what is the name of the file with all those entries and where is it located I wonder?
-bit (December 06, 2013, 11:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right-click on an entry and select Reset, when you restart Firefox/Seamonkey/Thunderbird/etc, it should be gone.

ie. It's reset to its default value, which in the case of an non-default entry is non-existence  :)
-4wd (December 06, 2013, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice!!!!!
In fact, it's downright civilized. :)

tomos:
myWOT is looking more and more like crapware, as per this link.
-bit (December 06, 2013, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow - I was shocked by that.
Everyone should read...

bit:
I reset Firefox, but lost an option I can't figure out how to get back.
When I open a new blank tab, it initially shows my history in a grid of nine rectangles, even with the "Don't save history" option checked.
There's a way to get it not to show that, but I can't seem to find it.

Another problem probably not fixable is that when I go to close all 'other' tabs, it invariably warns me I am about to close all other tabs and do I wish to continue?
I'd rather not have this 'safety feature' second-guessing me like that.

mouser:
I don't personally use WOT, but i know a little bit about it and i think we have people on DC who really like it.

Reading the criticisms of WOT on the links posted in this thread, there seem to be 3 very different complaints:

1. That uninstalling WOT doesn't really fully uninstall it.
2. That WOT can be "gamed" to harm site reputations.
3. That WOT forum is censoring posts critical of it.
4. That WOT is useless because its "just" using user's opinions to judge sites instead of scanning for viruses, etc.

As for #1, there are lots of cases where uninstalling leaves behind trivial stuff that is not used for any purpose -- sometimes just because deleting it seems pointless, or because a reinstall should preserve the settings, etc.  Sometimes people freak out about such things.  I think in order to be upset or care, you'd really want to show that WOT is using this left over undeleted information for nefarious purposes.  I'm not saying someone shouldn't document how to clear this information or that i know whether or not it's being used, i'm just saying that just because info is left over after an uninstall is not in itself reason to freak out.

As for #2, i do think WOT can be gamed, and probably *is* being gamed -- though not nearly as much as most of the damn internet services we use every day.  every major successfull (and trying to be successful) internet service is gamed to high heaven, both from inside the company -- to fakely inflate the apparent popularity, and by external people who pay to have fake accounts and content and upvotes and likes, etc.  It's the nature of our current system that such gaming takes place and has become a solid business model.  it sucks.  It's fair to complain when companies encourage this or don't do much about it.  I don't know enough about WOT to judge them on this.

As for #3, i don't approve of removing critical forum posts, if they are doing that, shame on them.  but it does seem to be VERY common in the industry.

As for #4, i think that's a silly complaint -- using user reputations gives you a very different way to judge a site's evilness, and can frequently be more useful and intelligent and mindful than some automated virus scanning, which frequently makes mistakes and can be hell to get fixed since humans are not involved.

Just my 2 cents -- i think we should be a little more cautious about hating on WOT until someone comes up with some more solid reasons to do so.

4wd:
As for #1, there are lots of cases where uninstalling leaves behind trivial stuff that is not used for any purpose -- sometimes just because deleting it seems pointless, or because a reinstall should preserve the settings, etc.  Sometimes people freak out about such things.  I think in order to be upset or care, you'd really want to show that WOT is using this left over undeleted information for nefarious purposes.  I'm not saying someone shouldn't document how to clear this information or that i know whether or not it's being used, i'm just saying that just because info is left over after an uninstall is not in itself reason to freak out.-mouser (December 07, 2013, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

While good points, I think the fact that it leaves behind traces that allow you to be personally identifiable when you visit a web site and the developers haven't seen fit to tell anyone this, does not exactly instill a feeling of goodwill.

Consider the subject dropped by me ... don't want to end up with DC getting the red donut  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version