topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which link do I want?  (Read 5091 times)

alexo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Which link do I want?
« on: November 25, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Hello,

This is a great program and I am happy I found it! I am new to streaming video links and detecting URL's. I have a couple questions that I did not find in the Help file. I am not recording the video but I am linking to it from a my website. Also I am using Windows Media player to check links and view videos.

#1. Some times when I try to find a link with URL Snooper it comes up with many different links for one video feed. How do I know which one to get?

#2. How does the Simplify URL work?

#3. I'm basically confused which link to get, there are http links, reflector links, mms links, ect. I've never heard of a reflector link what is it?

I assume the optimal link is the mms stream but sometimes there are several different mms links for one video.

I hope someone can enlighten me on this.. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 07:40 PM by alexo »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which link do I want?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 02:18 AM »
im not an expert but basically i just use trial and error.

often it's a matter of one early url leading indirectly to another - so i usually just take the last url pointing to a stream that works.
so an http url will lead to a mms url, and so i take the mms.  i *think* a reflector just bounces you to another url, so you would again want the last one.  sometimes a recording program like streamboxvcr will like one url and not another, so sometimes it's trial and error.

"simplify url" just removes parameters at the end of a url, like "mms:\\cspan.org\hearing.rm?mode=compact" will change to "mms:\\cspan.org\hearing.rm", which is usually what you want.  rarely hurts to leave in the other stuff, but simplifying the url can make things a bit cleaner.

alexo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which link do I want?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 03:15 AM »
Thanks I understand now. I should always try to get the MMS "simplified URL" and check see if it works.