ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" just released

<< < (7/13) > >>

rgdot:
Not that a new version of LM will fix wifi issues necessarily but may be I should burn 16 and see if it is better than 13...
-rgdot (December 04, 2013, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting...one of the first things that swayed me towards Mint as a general purpose and new-user distro was how well it worked with wifi. At least for me. Guess it's yet another example of how YMMV when it comes to Linux...

-40hz (December 04, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

At least partly a case of which wireless card is in there. If it was a desktop I would be willing to change any or all components to fit but laptop less so.  Even with firmware update, wireless card not soldered and compatible replacement it's still hit and miss in my (limited) experience.

40hz:
40hz,

If you can help out on this, i'd appreciate it!
1. i find graphics grainier than say, PCLinuxOS (changing monitor settings doesn't do anything to improve).
-dantheman (December 09, 2013, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

@DtM - I'll try.

Without knowing your hardware configuration, there's not much I can suggest other than to say it sounds like the screen resolution is being set incorrectly or the video driver you're using is generic and your GPU doesn't like it.

If you have an NVidia card there have been documented problems with some of the drivers recently.

How about a little more detail: screen type, native resolution, graphic system etc.?

You can run inxi -Gx in a terminal window to see what Mint thinks you have running. If there's a mismatch, that's where we'll need to start looking.

2. how to change font and even better, make title bars disappear (or autohide) in Firefox for example?
I've got "toolbar autohide" which works just fine in Windows but not on Linux Mint Cinnamon 16.

--- End quote ---

Never used Toolbar Autohide before, but I just installed it. (Nice add-on btw!) Once I did I had to put the cursor in the toolbar area, right click and put a checkmark for Maximized Autohide. Works like a charm for me.

Let me know if it does for you. :Thmbsup:

dantheman:
Here it is :
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96M [GeForce GT 130M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV96 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes

(something is missing or failing).

That Toolbar Autohide is working just fine. Here it is at work:
LINUX: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" just released Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've got the LM panel sent to the top, could this have an impact?
Thunderbird behaves in same manner.
Not very nice when you a black theme and nice long greyish horizontal bar.

dantheman:
BTW, glad i could have been of some use to you 40hz!
It's odd that Chromium has the option to hide system title bar and borders.
Guess Dedoimedo is right on his recent rant about Mozilla ?

Shades:
Have been trying Mint 16 Cinnamon (64-bit) in VirtualBox version 4.3.2 (portable edition) but it isn't that stable to be honest, not nearly as stable as ElementaryOS 0.2 (Luna).

In my VirtualBox setup (both VirtualBox and Mint use the default settings) Mint really starts behaving crazy when I try to play a DVD. I'm not blaming Mint all the way for this behavior as it could be the DVD itself (yeay, misusing DVD book conventions for the DRM beast).

Have not been able to successfully connect my USB hard disk to the virtual machine in VirtualBox, perhaps I should try a different file manager that supports SMB:// better. For some (strange?) reason the default manager doesn't find my Windows shares.

I did install VLC into Mint, even after downloading and installing each requested package the DVD would pass through its menu system and plays the first minutes, but only in black and white, so I didn't check if the DVD plays completely, to be honest. Closing VLC crashed the virtual machine with Mint. The virtual machine with ElementaryOS, VLC and the DVD didn't crash after closing VLC, but VLC kept playing the movie in black and white as well. Also in this VM all the requested packages were installed.

The DVD is 'The Life and Death of Peter Sellers'.

Browsing the internet and all that kind of stuff went well in Mint, however the default fonts the default browser used, I didn't find that nice to look at. As I have seen websites in other linux distro's (CentOS and Fedora) display text of a website more clearly than Windows PC's years ago, I know this can be better. ElementaryOS does this (only marginally) better.

My Windows host machine uses an AMD Radeon 4650 video card (old, but very reliable and it has 1GB of RAM on it). The rest of my PC is from the same "computer epoch", so that could be the reason for instability as well  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version