ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a backup solution that uses winRAR

<< < (5/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Windows backup may be proprietary but it has been included in ever version of Windows ... I would be very surprised if it wasn't included in future versions of Windows and backward compatible.

f0dder:
Windows backup may be proprietary but it has been included in ever version of Windows ... I would be very surprised if it wasn't included in future versions of Windows and backward compatible.
-Carol Haynes (May 19, 2006, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but can you restore from one windows version to another? That's what I'm worried about considering proprietary.

Tekzel:
Yes, but can you restore from one windows version to another? That's what I'm worried about considering proprietary.
-f0dder (May 19, 2006, 05:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I seem to remember not being able to restore a backup on one version from another before, but if so it was a long time ago.  I personally wouldn't use a backup like the Windows backup, its kind of lightweight and I dislike the proprietary format being potentially tied to a specific version of windows.

Carol Haynes:
the problem that I can see with windows backup is that you cannot search in the backup (like the catalog option in genie backup). Or can you?-urlwolf (May 19, 2006, 05:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can certainly look at the folders and files in the backup. Just double click the backup file, go to the restore tab and use double clik to open up each layer of the tree in the archive. It shows folders and files at each level.

You can restore anything you want either to its original location or somewhere else if you want.

OK it isn't as slick and feature rich as some apps but it works and its free.

BTW, I like genie backup less and less each day. Very buggy.
--- End quote ---

What bugs have you found ???

Is the compressed file produced by windows backup a simple zip file?
--- End quote ---

No it is Windows .BKF format (which has three levels of compression)

I haven't tried recovering a backup from dixml.

I don't think they store all the partition in xml. What they do is similar to the .CUE and .BIN formats for music. The partition is the .BIN, and the xml tells you where each file/directory starts and ends. Which is very smart, if that's what they do.

--- End quote ---

From the Drive Image XML home page ... it says "Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!"

It is worth reading the FAQs etc. on the site because there are quite a few restrictions on what you can and can't do with DIXML which aren't immediately obvious or intuitive.

urlwolf:
Sorry, didn't want to alarm you with Genie. I found duplicate files (e.g., .dbm and C001)... when only one dbm should exist (for small incremental backups of 1 day ~ 150 mb). Their tech people couldn't replicate it so they offered a refund (very corteous). It might be pretty rare.

From the Drive Image XML home page ... it says "Images are stored in XML files, allowing you to process them with 3rd party tools. Never again be stuck with a useless backup!"

It is worth reading the FAQs etc. on the site because there are quite a few restrictions on what you can and can't do with DIXML which aren't immediately obvious or intuitive.

--- End quote ---

What are the non-obvious restrictions that worry you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version