ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (10/12) > >>

tomos:
I see... So what are the use cases for System vs. Disk backup? Wouldn't I be always better off doing a complete Disk backup then, to make sure I don't ever lose anything?
-dr_andus (May 04, 2016, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

me, I create an image to backup the OS. If something software related is going to go wrong, it's probably going to be with the OS. I guess copying *everything* could cover you if you ever want to replace the harddrive -- but I have no idea how good aomei backupper is at that. It's unlikely that those other partitions are going to have problems, but that's why we do backup, isn't it :-) (I'm talking round in circles here...)

Your more immediate problems are size of backup and time:
you could try a system backup and see if it's any quicker/smaller. If not, as said already, I'd be looking at the (free) competition (macrium?).

tomos:
Aomei Partition Assistant Pro is free today on BDJ (next 17 hours, you may have to install today) - or you can purchase two Pro lifetime licenses @ 60% off (for ~$20)
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/aomei-partition-assistant-pro-edition/in=todays-deals-home

My experience using it was positive:
More Aomei experiences [Aomei Partition Manager]:
I wanted to delete a partition; incorporate the freed-up space into 'C'; then divide 'C' into three partitions:
[C | Data | Partition-with-space-for-one-backup-image]

Aomei Partition Assistant:
# I created a boot usb-flash-drive (it's Win PE)
# on a laptop with three partitions (one a miniscule one with some Dell tools), I:

* deleted the 12GB 'Recovery' partition
* I then had to *move* (and resize) the 'C partition so as it would take over the now unallocated space (this was slow: I had to use an 'up' arrow to increase the size of 'C')
At this stage I rebooted: everything was fine so I created a new 'System image' using Aomei Backerupper
I then booted again with Aomei Partition and:

* split 'C' into two partitions
* then split the newly made partition into two partitions
[..] worked fine :up:
-tomos (August 02, 2015, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

IainB:
@tomos: Thanks. By the way, where you wrote:
I guess copying *everything* could cover you if you ever want to replace the harddrive -- but I have no idea how good aomei backupper is at that.
-tomos (May 04, 2016, 07:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

AOMEI Backupper seems to work very well. Made light work of my disk clone/backup - as described in the OP, "...a bombproof backup utility" - and this was in a situation where the failing hard drive was in a dynamically and progressively deteriorating state, even actually moving down 1% to 54% "health" status during the cloning process. It was so impressively good and trouble-free at what it does that I was inspired to write the mini-review in the OP. Disk cloning was "new territory" for me as I had never been in this position with a failing drive before, nor needed to make a disk clone before and was thus unfamiliar with the necessary process. AOMEI Backupper saved me from a potential major headache with that failing drive.
Of course, I should not omit to mention the huge  value in having HDS (Hard Disk Sentinel), which was what had first alerted me to the problem of the disk's deteriorating state and was monitoring and reporting on its declining health.
Refer: Hard Disk Sentinel PRO - Mini-Review

tomos:
Another Aomei Partition Assistant experience:

* free version
* Windows 10 (Lenovo laptop)
I wanted to split the C partition (the only other visible partition was a Lenovo recovery one).

I chose to do this *without* creating an Aomei bootable usb-stick.
Was fairly simple, you click 'Split' and get to choose size of new partition. It suggests that you allow Aomei to 'check' that non-split partition, which I did. Was fine. (Note I had also defragmented the drive beforehand.)

I'm afraid I didnt keep a proper record of the whole thing, so this from memory: On clicking 'Apply', Aomei created a PE environment (virtual?), then rebooted Windows. This took some time, but not excessive. On rebooting, the new partition was not visible in Explorer, but was visible in Disk Management -- I formatted it there -- it was then visible in Explorer.

This could probably all be done simply using Disk Management, but I think one would have to shrink the volume first and then create the new volume.
How to Manage Partitions on Windows Without Downloading Any Other Software (howtogeek.com)

tomos:
Aomei Backerupper on BDJ today:
Pro for free
Lifetime Pro for ~22US$
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/aomei-backupper-professional/in=todays-deals-home

Note #1 there is no info available about what exactly the lifetime offer involves (one commenter claiming it's not lifetime -- but I think it's just that the fineprint only covers the free offer).

Note #2 appears Firefox and Chrome and some anti-virus are labeling it (presumably the free offer) as malware/virus. Possibly because of something like opencandy in the installer?

Comparision of Standard etc. versus Pro:
https://www.aomeitech.com/ab/comparison.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version