ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (9/12) > >>

IainB:
@tsaint: Many thanks to you for this link:    :Thmbsup:
AOMEI Pro Backupper ... free for 8 more hours from "now" at http://sharewareonsale.com/s/aomei-backupper-pro-freebie-sale
Main pro advantage seems to be clone image ability
-tsaint (May 03, 2016, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just now downloaded and installed it. I noticed that it sets up a bunch of Services on installation. Could be an overhead...
I managed to get the AOMEI Partition Assistant PRO for FREE a couple of years ago.
I had been waiting for the AOMEI Backupper PRO to come up for free, but never saw it.
I've made a note of that website.

@Curt: And thanks to you for this link:    :Thmbsup:
They have a sale the coming weekend; 7+8'th of May 2016
The offer prices are not yet revealed, but "up to 65% off for a bundle"
Scroll all down: http://www.backup-utility.com/landing/aomei-weekend-sales.html
-Curt (May 03, 2016, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've made a note of that website also.

By the way, where these special offer websites insist on your giving a Facebook "Like", or a Google+ "Like", or your email address or some such - refer Firefox Extensions: MaskMe anonymous email aliases

tomos:
@dr_andus,
I'm still a bit confused -- you say C drive has 189GB, but you also mention 250GB.
Even if you backed up the whole drive, I dont see why you should get an image of over 400GB - unless I missed something big, things aren't adding up there.

Check the settings in aomei:
select your type of backup, and bottom left in tab is 'backup options'.
There is a setting called 'Intelligent sector' -- that should be ticked. Check compression as well. I dont see how either of those would cause a 400+ backup, but still worth checking.

If the backup is much bigger than what's on the disc, I'd either contact aomei, or try a different image programme.

PS possibly not much help at this stage, but this is why I put in a separate partition for data -- so as creating an system-image is relatively small and quick.

dr_andus:
I'm still a bit confused -- you say C drive has 189GB, but you also mention 250GB.
Even if you backed up the whole drive, I dont see why you should get an image of over 400GB - unless I missed something big, things aren't adding up there.
-tomos (May 04, 2016, 03:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The 250GB was my estimate, before I was able to look (as backup was in progress). When I add up the Windows (C:), System, HP_Recovery (D:) and HP_Tools (E:) partitions (which all reside on a 931.51GB sized disk), all used space comes to 208.16GB. Windows (C:) on its own is 189GB.

I guess I'm not entirely clear what gets backed up when I choose the System Backup option. Does it make an image of the entire disk (with all the above partitions), or only of the Windows (C:) partition?

I'll check your other suggestions a bit later, as my machine is busy with other things just now. Thanks.

tomos:
^the 'System backup' would be 'C' partition plus any hidden partition that is required for booting (in windows 7 at least, there's often a hidden 100MB partition with boot files).

'Disk backup' would be the complete drive (all partitions).

dr_andus:
I see... So what are the use cases for System vs. Disk backup? Wouldn't I be always better off doing a complete Disk backup then, to make sure I don't ever lose anything?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version