ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (3/12) > >>

4wd:
Could you maybe suggest some areas where I could poke around to check up on the output?-IainB (November 25, 2013, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

The best check is, of course, a fully functioning system.  If it appears to be working OK and your installed programs, (especially things like AV and virtual devices, if you have any), work OK then I'd say it's working fine.

IainB:
Could you maybe suggest some areas where I could poke around to check up on the output?-IainB (November 25, 2013, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
The best check is, of course, a fully functioning system.  If it appears to be working OK and your installed programs, (especially things like AV and virtual devices, if you have any), work OK then I'd say it's working fine.
-4wd (November 26, 2013, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, it seems to have been an easy, painless process. The cloned system behaves just like it was the old one. No hiccups. I had been expecting much worse.
Things like MS Security Essentials and a virtual CD-ROM drive are operating just fine. So is everything else - so far!
That AOMEI software is quite impressive.

beethoven:
I am a bit confused as to what "cloning" means as opposed to creating an image and what the advantage would be?

IainB:
Forgot to mention this: After I had started using the cloned drive, Windows 7 Firewall Control (now Windows 8 Firewall Control) from http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html kept telling me I needed to refresh the licence, so I guess the licence must be tied to the hard drive number, or partition size, or something, and the change(s) had been detected by the software.

IainB:
I am a bit confused as to what "cloning" means as opposed to creating an image and what the advantage would be?
-beethoven (December 13, 2013, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I found it confuzzling too.
It seems that an "image" is a picture of a drive as at a point in time - which image you can superimpose (clone) onto several hard drives if you want, at some future date. A clone is thus created when an image of a drive is taken and superimposed onto a different hard drive.
I didn't take an image, I just cloned the thing in real time, directly from the original drive.
The intermediate stage of creating several CDs holding the image, and then cloning that image to a new hard drive seemed a bit unnecessary for my purposes, but it would have been essential if (say) I had wanted to make 10 clones on 10 different PCs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version