ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (2/12) > >>

IainB:
@tomos:
Yes, everything seemed to work perfectly. Very nice when that happens!

I was using a USB3.0 device, but via a USB2 connection. It would probably been a lot quicker with a USB3 connection.
As it was, the clone took about 8hrs, and the allocation of the unallocated space to the cloned C: drive took 1 to 2 hrs. (not sure, as I didn't time it).

Sorry, the download files are referred to, but rather buried in the Intro and Overview:
On the download page, it says:
The software has two installation files:
One size: 60MB, supports both Windows 7/8/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2003/2008/2012, you can download according to your OS. (link to CNET download)
The other size: 20MB, it only supports Windows 7/8 and Server 2008 R2/2012. (link to a "loal" download)

--- End quote ---
I downloaded and installed the smaller file, then executed AOMEI Backupper. Click-click-click with the mouse - and in less than 20 seconds I had started cloning my failing Seagate drive to the new WD drive.
-IainB (November 23, 2013, 05:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I only needed the smaller file as that was relevant to my OS.
I found the website a bit confusing on this and some other subject, but I put that down to the website's use of English rather than anything else.

4wd:
@IainB: You don't mention whether or not the cloning process required that it be done with OS offline, (like many of them do due to locked files), ie. it rebooted the system and then started the cloning.

IainB:
@4wd: I had never needed to use a cloning tool before, and did not know what to expect, though I did wonder what it was going to do with locked files.
It just started the clone from when I launched the program, no rebooting or anything. At the end of the exercise, it said it was "copying the system files" (OWTTE) and I assumed that included any locked files or system files that might have been used/changed during the cloning process.
Like I said:
...I downloaded and installed the smaller file, then executed AOMEI Backupper. Click-click-click with the mouse - and in less than 20 seconds I had started cloning my failing Seagate drive to the new WD drive.
-IainB (November 23, 2013, 05:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was impressed, and subsequent testing of the clone (which I am using as my primary now) indicates nothing amiss so far.

Could you maybe suggest some areas where I could poke around to check up on the output? I'm not really sure where to look or what to look for otherwise. I did notice that the Windows Update History is blank, but I think that is because I deleted that prior to cloning to reduce space used on the drive (and to reduce backup/cloning time).

IainB:
2013-11-26 1232hrs Updated the opening post (review) to clarify some of the content, in light of questions asked.
Sorry if it was a bit garbled, but I was pretty dog-tired when I wrote it, so probably prone to making mistakes at that time.

tomos:
Thanks Iain -
I'm trying to read slower these days, but in e.g. a review like this, there's a lot of info, so it's easy to miss something, I find ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version