ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (5/12) > >>

tomos:
When you create an image, the whole concept is to take everything.  If you don't want that, you are making a plain file backup.-Shades (August 01, 2015, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

hiberfile.sys and the paging file are often excluded by default by this type of software when creating an image file

Depending on the format used for the generated image file, there might be software that allows you to peek inside those files, allowing you to read and copy stuff from that image file.
-Shades (August 01, 2015, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah,
Aomei does allow to mount an image and copy files from that.

Shades:
Software the uses the Windows installation on the system to create images of itself do exclude those files, I agree.

Hard-core tools, software that does not use the installed Windows, doesn't care. This type of software is probably not for the faint of heart...but imho is usually less messy that the kind that uses Windows.

tomos:
Hard-core tools, software that does not use the installed Windows, doesn't care. This type of software is probably not for the faint of heart...but imho is usually less messy that the kind that uses Windows.
-Shades (August 01, 2015, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sometimes faint of heart, but always curious ;-)
so just wondering, can you give an example there ?

Shades:
HDclone, Clonezilla, PartImage, R-Drive Image to name a few. R-Drive Image supports both ways. Back in the day the software to got to (for this type job): Ghost (before Norton bought it).

Don't be fooled by the 'Clone'-part in the names of some applications. These also gave options to manage disk/partition images. HDclone is my personal favorite. The free version of this software is limited in functionality and slow. Very reliable, though. The commercial versions do not have these limits.

tomos:
^thanks Shades.

More Aomei experiences:
I wanted to delete a partition; incorporate the freed-up space into 'C'; then divide 'C' into three partitions:
[C | Data | Partition-with-space-for-one-backup-image]

Aomei Partition Assistant:
# I created a boot usb-flash-drive (it's Win PE)
# on a laptop with three partitions (one a miniscule one with some Dell tools), I:

* deleted the 12GB 'Recovery' partition
* I then had to *move* (and resize) the 'C partition so as it would take over the now unallocated space (this was slow: I had to use an 'up' arrow to increase the size of 'C')
At this stage I rebooted: everything was fine so I created a new 'System image' using Aomei Backerupper
I then booted again with Aomei Partition and:

* split 'C' into two partitions
* then split the newly made partition into two partitions
This one worked fine too :up:
So all in all a very successful experience with both tools :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version