ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (10/13) > >>

4wd:
How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

Do you have the system set to auto-update, (default is 3am everyday)?

This isn't going to turn out to be something as simple as this all along is it?  :-\

dr_andus:
Do you have the system set to auto-update, (default is 3am everyday)?

This isn't going to turn out to be something as simple as this all along is it?  :-\
-4wd (November 27, 2013, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks!  :)  :-[ You were right. Having said that, nowhere does it say that you also give them the permission to restart your PC. I usually have quite a few applications open with work-in-progress, so I don't like the idea of those being shut down. But can MS still do the updates while the PC is not actually running?

In any case, many thanks for educating me about the Reliability Monitor and the Event Viewer. It helped me discover that there are some problems with either my ATI card, or with CCC, or with .NET Framework (or with all of them). In fact in the last 24 hrs I've received 12 SideBySide errors, which also seems to be .NET related. But I have just been sent a .NET 4.5.1 update, so hopefully that will fix things. Cheerio...

4wd:
But can MS still do the updates while the PC is not actually running?-dr_andus (November 27, 2013, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

The auto-update creates a task that'll wake the computer to do the update check, and restart it to complete installation of any updates if required.

If you don't want it to do it, select one of the 3 other options - as you can see I just have it set to notify me of any updates.

Time to turn in my tech badge, too much over-thinking ...

However, I did manage to resurrect a DELL XPS730 by replacing some motherboard capacitors in the last day or so ... so maybe I'll keep my badge  ;D

dr_andus:
Don't turn in the badge yet... If anything, this was a very helpful discussion. I got a lot less dust in my PC for a start.  ;) Not to mention all the updated drivers and software. Many thanks for all the help. (I did change the settings, so I'll wait and see if the reboots stop as well.)

Stoic Joker:
Time to turn in my tech badge, too much over-thinking ...-4wd (November 27, 2013, 05:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, that just the downside of trying to work something blind. We tend to assume too much about the environment in question, and sometimes miss the obvious...or something that would have been obvious - because we'd have reflexively checked it a long time ago - had we been sitting in front of the machine. ;)

As long as it's fixed...that's the important part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version