ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (2/13) > >>

dr_andus:
You may also want to consider whether this happens after a SLEEP
-hpearce (November 22, 2013, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it does seem to be the case.

Lots or problems with sleep and hibernation.  So far I've never tried either.  :)
-MilesAhead (November 22, 2013, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Were you just joking about you personally not sleeping and hibernating  :), or not using these functions on your PC?

Right now my PC is set to go to sleep after 15 min. and it's also put to sleep every night. I've been doing this for years with this PC and I haven't had any problems.

I have noticed in the past that occasionally (but relatively rarely) my PC would get restarted automatically after a major Win update. But in the last 24 hrs it has restarted 3 or 4 times, which seems to be unusual.

So for clarity:
Is the machine rebooting when you try to wake it up, or are you noticing that it has rebooted - presumable sometime in the night - after you wake it up, get to the desktop, and see that the thing that were left running aren't anymore?-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Both has happened in the past 24 hrs. Edit: sorry, misunderstood your question. It's the second one: I come to wake it up, and it greets me with the login box...

Either way I'd start with the event logs-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Where do I find those?

How is the power in your area?
-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to be fine, nothing unusual (not a battery, from the mains).

Thanks for your advice!

Stoic Joker:
Right now my PC is set to go to sleep after 15 min. and it's also put to sleep every night. I've been doing this for years with this PC and I haven't had any problems.-dr_andus (November 22, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

So for clarity:
Is the machine rebooting when you try to wake it up, or are you noticing that it has rebooted - presumable sometime in the night - after you wake it up, get to the desktop, and see that the thing that were left running aren't anymore?-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Both has happened in the past 24 hrs.-dr_andus (November 22, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... That feels like hardware to me. Do a memory test first, then check the hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostic CD.

dr_andus:
Hm... That feels like hardware to me. Do a memory test first, then check the hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostic CD.
-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. It was the second one: when I'm waking it up it has already rebooted.

dr_andus:
You may also want to consider whether this happens after a SLEEP ....  I have this problem sometimes which I attribute to a driver not liking the sleep.
-hpearce (November 22, 2013, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I checked Device Manager and it shows that under "Other devices" "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" is missing a driver. I don't know what device this refers to (all it says is "on Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator"). "Update driver" doesn't find anything online.

The only Blootooth device I use is a Belkin dongle, which I use for my Apple Wireless Keyboard. But under "Bluetooth Radios" it says that that Belkin Bluetooth Device and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator (whatever that is) are working fine, up-to-date, and so is my keyboard and Bluetooth connection...

4wd:
It's also sometimes easier to spot things in the Reliability History (Start menu, then start typing reliability) than looking through Event Logs.

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version