ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (5/13) > >>

dr_andus:
And also ask if the dust has been blown out of the machine recently?
-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2013, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope...  :-[ Not in a few years...

Guys, many thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I was occupied with some other duties today, but tomorrow I'll find a brush and start with a proper spring cleaning... I'll also try the other suggestions.

Another new behaviour I forgot to mention was that starting last week (so before the IE11 upgrade) my PC would refuse to go to sleep sometimes (when I was manually putting it to sleep). Then I would start shutting down software one-by-one to identify which one was keeping it awake, but it wasn't able to pin it down. This has recurred yesterday as well. Maybe it's related.

Stoic Joker:
I wouldn't have thought a buildup of dust, (and heat), is the problem as the system is in Sleep state when the original fault happens and thus using minimal power.  If anything, it would happen more often when the machine was in normal running mode.-4wd (November 23, 2013, 05:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, but I'm pondering fringe case options. If the user isn't much of a gamer (I'm not) then there really isn't much of a load on the card at runtime. But at start up (or wake) the machine will need to rapidly switch display modes several times...so if it's doing this for 3 monitors, it could make for just enough of a load spike to trip up the card.

4wd:
Hmm, more intermittent faults ... time for the Shotgun approach?  ;D

dr_andus:
If the user isn't much of a gamer, then there really isn't much of a load on the card at runtime. -Stoic Joker (November 24, 2013, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, I'm not. I don't do any heavy-duty image or video processing either. It's mostly just typing away, though I can have many different software running at the same time.

But at start up (or wake) the machine will need to rapidly switch display modes several times...so if it's doing this for 3 monitors, it could make for just enough of a load spike to trip up the card.
-Stoic Joker (November 24, 2013, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did notice when I plugged in the 3rd monitor with the DisplayPort VGA Adapter for the first time that my PC became a bit less snappy. But I was willing to trade the deterioration in performance for having a 3rd monitor.

And yes, it is usually at start-up or wake when the Adapter would fail and I would need to plug it in and out. My guess is that it happens maybe 3-5% of the time, so not often enough to really make me want to buy a different make or look for another solution.

Otherwise my specs are: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 8.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, Adapter RAM 1.00 GB

Hmm, more intermittent faults ... time for the Shotgun approach?  ;D
-4wd (November 24, 2013, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

...which is...? (sorry, you'd need to spell it out for me, I'm not much of a hardware guy either...)

4wd:
...which is...? (sorry, you'd need to spell it out for me, I'm not much of a hardware guy either...)-dr_andus (November 24, 2013, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

See here

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version