ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: FileSearchy - Quick file search utility (freeware)

<< < (8/11) > >>

highend01:
@Cashper

Does a german translation already exist?

Cashper:
BTW is there any quick navigation between the two tabs? IIRC MultiFind could jump from Matches to an exact location in the File tab. Just wondering as that was quite a nice feature.
-sajman99 (February 09, 2014, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I will add this very soon.

Is there a way to rank search results by relevance (e.g. the number of times a search term occurs within a file)?
-dr_andus (February 09, 2014, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not yet.
I think search by relevance and search by number of matches are different things.
Search by a number of matches is not hard to implement, but i don't see a use case that shows when it is needed.
Search by relevance is hard to implement, because i don't have trustworthy criteria to determine relevance.

@Cashper

Does a german translation already exist?
-highend01 (February 10, 2014, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, at the moment.

dr_andus:
Search by a number of matches is not hard to implement, but i don't see a use case that shows when it is needed.
-Cashper (February 11, 2014, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

To me that is an important basic measure of relevance. The more a search term occurs in a document (especially with some Boolean operator), the more likely that it is relevant. In some applications search results are automatically ranked in such a way, and in most cases the top-ranked search results do turn out to be more relevant ones. Obviously one needs to pick the search terms strategically (I mostly know what the search terms are that are likely to return the results I'm looking for in my collection of documents).

sajman99:
I'm not able to show number of matches in all the found files because when FileSearchy finds the first match in a file is stops and moves to next file. Scanning for all matches is too excessive and will slow down the search.
-Cashper (January 27, 2014, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Cashper, sorry if this is a stupid question, but apparently I'm not understanding what you are saying here. If FileSearchy moves on after the first match, how then does it list every match in each file? I mean, it appears that it is listing everything correctly in both the File tab and the Matches tab (even including line number).

Also, even if you cannot count matches, couldn't you count the lines in the Matches tab? or is it the same problem? For example, there is a well-known program named BareGrep that finds "matching lines". So apparently there can be more than one instance/match in any given line, but the counting is done on a per-line basis.

Anyway, I ask because I agree with dr_andus that counting matches is important. Counting objectively quantifies the findings of the content search. IMO any type of search should attempt to find, display, and quantify findings.

Cashper:
To me that is an important basic measure of relevance. The more a search term occurs in a document (especially with some Boolean operator), the more likely that it is relevant. In some applications search results are automatically ranked in such a way, and in most cases the top-ranked search results do turn out to be more relevant ones. Obviously one needs to pick the search terms strategically (I mostly know what the search terms are that are likely to return the results I'm looking for in my collection of documents).
-dr_andus (February 11, 2014, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I will probably add a column with name Matches (or Hits) that will show number of matches in each file. Then you will be able to sort by clicking the column.

Cashper, sorry if this is a stupid question, but apparently I'm not understanding what you are saying here. If FileSearchy moves on after the first match, how then does it list every match in each file? I mean, it appears that it is listing everything correctly in both the File tab and the Matches tab (even including line number).
-sajman99 (February 12, 2014, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

FileSearchy moves on after the first match, but when you select a file it retrieves all matches for this one file.

Anyway, I ask because I agree with dr_andus that counting matches is important. Counting objectively quantifies the findings of the content search. IMO any type of search should attempt to find, display, and quantify findings.
-sajman99 (February 12, 2014, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope that adding a new column "fixes" the issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version