ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: FileSearchy - Quick file search utility (freeware)

<< < (4/11) > >>

Cashper:
Not bad Cashper!

Looks nice, finding files is really instant.
I would install it on 10 notebooks but there are only limited user accounts available.
So the only way atm is to create a task that runs with highest privileges but I do not
want it to popup automatically so could you please add an option to just display it's
tray icon instead of the full gui?

-highend01 (November 28, 2013, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your message! I am currently implementing ability to run without admin permissions and will provide a new version shortly.
I already implemented bypassing UAC prompt on accounts that have admin permissions.
You can run FileSearchy without full gui even in v0.9 using the following command line: "FileSearchy.exe -minimize".

Cashper:
Nice. Thanks for posting this. I like the relevance bar. However, I miss the ability to rank the search results by relevance (the way it's possible in DocFetcher for instance). I need to search for terms in the contents of 1300 PDF files (ebooks and articles), and going through e.g. 500 results is time-consuming.
-dr_andus (November 28, 2013, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, sort by relevance seems very useful.
I've taken a look at DocFetcher, it seems that it gives a higher score based on number of matches and size of the document. Do you find the ranking in DocFetcher really useful?

dr_andus:
Do you find the ranking in DocFetcher really useful?
-Cashper (November 28, 2013, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have only just looked at it today. It doesn't seem to be all that accurate, as I get radically different (i.e. more relevant) results when I search my PDF library for the same search term with PDF-Xchange Viewer Pro. So it's not so much about the way DocFetcher does it. It's more about the idea of being able to sort the results by relevance (even Copernic Desktop Search doesn't seem to be able to do that) by clicking on a column. PDF-Xchange Viewer Pro doesn't seem to be able to rank by relevance either.

P.S. Agent Ransack doesn't seem to have a relevance ranking either, though it compensates for it somewhat by only showing the relevant paragraphs, which is kind of clever, and by making it easy to move from one document to the next using the arrows.

rjbull:
it has to be something I can use in a quick-N-dirty fashion when dealing with client networks that may or may not have access to the fancy hat account for a variety of reasons.-Stoic Joker (November 23, 2013, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Would Nir Sofer's SearchMyFiles do enough for you?

Cashper:
I've published new beta v 0.91.
Important changes:
1) Now it is possible to launch program without admin permissions. The program will work slower in this case - it will not use indexing, and that means that instant search by name will not be available.
2) Application skips UAC by creating a task in task scheduler.
3) Security improvement: When launching a program from FileSearchy, it is launched without elevation (and prompts UAC).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version