ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review

<< < (9/9)

IainB:
...As someone who did install it, it's no different that what you have in the G software.  You can install the G930 without installing the complete gaming bit, but the gaming bit integrates it in if you install that.
-wraith808 (September 01, 2015, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that probably helps to explain it.
The G930 headset software switches the headset off after X (approx 10 or so) minutes of continuously having detected no sound input.
The tweak that @Deozaan describes is to the file Device_Manifest.xml, which is apparently set by default to switch off the headset after a specific period of time (15 mins.). What an annoying setting! - but I would presume it's a mistake (human error).
It seems that the file Device_Manifest.xml is probably installed by the gaming software (which I haven't installed).

The G930 software - for the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - seems to be a fantastically good method for delivering excellent simulated surround-sound (7.1 or 5.1 channels) to the headphones at something close to or approximating the Dolby standard. The software seems to be effectively emulating a soundcard. In most cases, keeping the headset switch to the Dolby surround-sound produces the best results, but sometimes the stereo-only switch can seem to deliver an arguably better listening experience. Suck-it-and-see is the best option here, and personal preferences will probably be a deciding factor.
That's certainly the case with chip music, which can sound quite different on (say) ordinary headphones, as compared to the G930 headset with surround-sound or stereo.

Playing about with the headset and its software - particularly the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - I have found that, on some audio files, for some bass frequencies, when these 2 softwares are ON, they can create a "tearing" sound (like speaker overload).
This is noticeable for some chip music - especially Impulse Tracker files (extension ".it"), where, for some bass frequencies, when these 2 softwares are ON, they can create a "tearing" sound (like speaker overload) and even a deafening accumulative noise load at those low frequencies. The latter means that some noise slowly accumulates like an increasingly noisy echo that doesn't go away or fade out. I'd never experienced that kind of sound effect before using this G930 headset.
Switching the 2 softwares OFF seems to eliminate the tearing sound, but not the accumulative noise load. The latter has so far been only noticeable when listening to Impulse Tracker files - which I think were designed for specific soundcards, most now probably being obsolete.
All of which leads me to suppose that, though the soundcard emulation in the G930 software seems to be generally very good for most listening purposes, it isn't perfect by any means for some specific kinds of output signals/frequencies.

wraith808:
...As someone who did install it, it's no different that what you have in the G software.  You can install the G930 without installing the complete gaming bit, but the gaming bit integrates it in if you install that.
-wraith808 (September 01, 2015, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that probably helps to explain it.
The G930 headset software switches the headset off after X (approx 10 or so) minutes of continuously having detected no sound input.
The tweak that @Deozaan describes is to the file Device_Manifest.xml, which is apparently set by default to switch off the headset after a specific period of time (15 mins.). What an annoying setting! - but I would presume it's a mistake (human error).
It seems that the file Device_Manifest.xml is probably installed by the gaming software (which I haven't installed).
-IainB (September 01, 2015, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

And just for clarity's sake, mine does do that in windows 7.  So if I use the headset as just a headset in mumble or ventrilo, if we're not talking, it will shut off.  But if I route my game through it also, it never shuts off.  I've just dealt with it.

Deozaan:
The G930 software - for the software pre-amplifier and graphic equalizer - seems to be a fantastically good method for delivering excellent simulated surround-sound (7.1 or 5.1 channels) to the headphones at something close to or approximating the Dolby standard. The software seems to be effectively emulating a soundcard. In most cases, keeping the headset switch to the Dolby surround-sound produces the best results, but sometimes the stereo-only switch can seem to deliver an arguably better listening experience. Suck-it-and-see is the best option here, and personal preferences will probably be a deciding factor.-IainB (September 01, 2015, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've found that most of the time I prefer the simulated surround-sound on the headset. But there are rare cases where it just "feels" weird. Such as when I'm talking "on the phone" using my computer. The effect the simulated surround-sound has on the other person's voice is just too strange for me, so I switch it off.

IainB:
UPDATE 2016-07-08:
After quite a long period of being probably roughly handled by me and my kids, the mic boom broke at the "elbow" (a potential weak spot). Fortunately, the fine wires inside did not break, and I was able to fix it by means of some duct tape holding it together around the break. Seems to be quite a robust repair - apparently hasn't weakened after several months of use. I'm glad its still intact and all working, though I actually seem to hardly ever use the mic now anyway.

Playing Fallout3 and other RPG games with this headset - with the full mixer software and surround-sound switched on - is very realistic, and you can detect noises of movement behind you and to one side.

The headset seems to have a new wear-and-tear problem - the volume thumbwheel on the headset seems to have have worn its friction face inside somewhere, so has little effect. I ended up using the laptop volume keys to adjust volume instead (which is a bit of a bind). I haven't figured out how to open up the headset without breaking it, to see if I can fix the thumbwheel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version