ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

central addressbook software for syncing everything with everything

<< < (8/9) > >>

superboyac:
Stoic, regarding your sales manager.  He must have a ton of contacts in linkedin and facebook.  How does he keep everything synchronized?  My suspicion is he uses his phone and that's it.  He doesn't care if it shows up on outlook or something.  true?

But now you got me thinking again.  If our distrust of google is valid (I believe so), then I'd like to store my contacts on MS Exchange.

question 1)...I know I can store photos on the GAL.  Will the photos show up on an Android phone?

question 2)...I am using the Touchdown app for Exchange access on my phone currently.  When I open up the GAL, the full list doesn't appear as it does in Outlook.  If I search, I can search, but the list does not appear.  I imagine this is because it's huge (thousands of people), so to load it in would be bad?  Is that the case?  Because frankly, I'd like to load the whole thing in and be able to browse and scroll through it like on the desktop.

Stoic Joker:
Stoic, regarding your sales manager.  He must have a ton of contacts in linkedin and facebook.  How does he keep everything synchronized?  My suspicion is he uses his phone and that's it.  He doesn't care if it shows up on outlook or something.  true?-superboyac (December 05, 2013, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not necessarily ... You see unfortunately I've been rather vocal (BOFH brand hostile) regarding all things Social Networking around here. So most folks are afraid to use it, in fear of reprisal. Honestly...(We're switching carriers and all getting new phones)...I just found out a few minutes ago that the owner really wanted an iPhone, but ordered an Android instead because they were afraid to ask me if the iPhone was ok. However irrational hatred aside... I ok'd the iPhone because we really do need somebody around here to have one for testing purposes ... And I'm sure as shit not going to carry the damn thing (It is so getting hacked to death - Muhahah).

But now you got me thinking again.  If our distrust of google is valid (I believe so), then I'd like to store my contacts on MS Exchange.

question 1)...I know I can store photos on the GAL.  Will the photos show up on an Android phone?-superboyac (December 05, 2013, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... I don't know. THE GAL is available by default on an Android, but the photos showing up part is really up to whatever client software is running/handling it on the phone.

question 2)...I am using the Touchdown app for Exchange access on my phone currently.  When I open up the GAL, the full list doesn't appear as it does in Outlook.  If I search, I can search, but the list does not appear.  I imagine this is because it's huge (thousands of people), so to load it in would be bad?  Is that the case?  Because frankly, I'd like to load the whole thing in and be able to browse and scroll through it like on the desktop.-superboyac (December 05, 2013, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mind you I'm guessing here...but I got the impression from the Office 365 site that there was an Android port of MS Office mobile ... But I could be completely off my nut on that one.

IIRC Touchdown was a necessary evil a few generations back before there was a native Droid/Exchange option. Most of the staff in using Droids of one flavor or the other, but they are all on the whatever came in-the-box Email client for the Exchange connection. And I haven't heard any can't find GAL listed address complaints in the (post Touchdown era) last couple years.

I've got one of the guy's here experimenting with the Droid/Outlook/pictures think to see if we can get it working.

superboyac:
Thanks for the details Stoic, you are really helping me get through this.

I didn't know that about Touchdown.  I'll try using the stock account manager and see if I like it better.  I was under the impression that only touchdown could do exchange.

I'm also going to try playing around with pictures and Outlook this weekend, in conjunction with some Mac stuff.

After reading your details, perhaps this is the best method of management:
1) get all the contacts from the social networks exported.  I would probably use the Mac and vcard export for this, since that would be the only way to do it in one shot.
2) import all these into Outlook.  Clean everything up.
3) Sync this to whatever Microsoft allows and get it on your phone.  From here on, manage everything with just your phone and outlook.  for new linkedin or facebook contacts, periodically update with a export/import.

That seems to be the best plan so far.

superboyac:
Stoic, I have some more Exchange questions for you:

1) Can Exchange import vcards with photos?
2) Can Exchange export vcards with photos?
3) Can Exchange use vcards from Mac Addressbooks (apparently the format is different from regular vcard)

Thanks!
----
[edit]
found this:
Bring all of your contacts together in one place:  People’s professional networks span many different places.  You will have the ability to enable users to bring their contacts in from other networks so that they have all of their information in one place.  Exchange will even find the same person across networks and consolidate their information into one contact card, avoiding duplication and multiple contact cards with different information. 
--- End quote ---
OK..this is what I don't get.  The "People" feature that's on the exchange online system is good, in that it syncs with different services.  but that information can't be shared on the phone (android) OR even desktop Outlook.  So how does this help me except for when I'm using the service through the desktop web access through the browser?

Stoic Joker:
Sorry for the delay, I've been in vacation mode.

Unfortunately, I don't know. I spend most of my time with the backend systems, and really don't have very complex needs for the interface. I'm actually currently trying to figure out a new Windows 8 phone...which seems to have some rather interesting new restrictions on what I can do with my contacts. I suspect I'm doing something wrong, but have as of yet not ascertained what exactly that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version