ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

central addressbook software for syncing everything with everything

<< < (6/9) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Years ago, I used to do it like you.  I imported everything manually into a standalone addressbook (I probably have several threads about it here) and then would periodically update it and export it to my phones and Outlook.
-superboyac (November 21, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me the manual bit is a singular event, I'm not going to signup to do shit periodically...that's the computer's job. :)

But this is where I'm getting a bit confused. It sounds like you configured connectors to live pull all of the contact info into the Exchange system. So that if you add/update a contact in FaceBook/Linked in/Gmail after the fact it will still (via the connector) share the new/updated info with all devices connected to Exchange's contact list. That would be fraught with turmoil as you say the Business Battle rages on.

My typical deployment is to centralize data scattered everywhere onto a single system, import all of the info into that system, and then to use it exclusively going forward. This way any and every thing that connects to it can/will get the same information set.

Do you actually need live sharing interactively between (FaceBook/Gmail/Linked in/Etc.) systems on an ongoing basis? Or do you just want/need a singular clean merger of all the contact info into a single contiguous block once so you can at all points work from there going forward?

SKA:
As vcf is default in most phones, this may help to get,edit,manage vcfs from phones:

vCardOrganizer (USD25 for all versions)
http://www.micro-progs.com/vcardorganizer/index.htm

For sync : Handy Addressbook 7.1 + Google sync(USD40 approx):
http://www.beiley.com/habook/google_sync.html

Epicenter Server - Sync your Exchange GAL with BlackBerry,iPhone/iPad,Android (USD20/user)
http://www.connectedsw.com/Overview/57261

Rgds
Ska

Stoic Joker:
Epicenter Server - Sync your Exchange GAL with BlackBerry,iPhone/iPad,Android (USD20/user)
http://www.connectedsw.com/Overview/57261-SKA (November 23, 2013, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! That looks really cool.

superboyac:
Years ago, I used to do it like you.  I imported everything manually into a standalone addressbook (I probably have several threads about it here) and then would periodically update it and export it to my phones and Outlook.
-superboyac (November 21, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

For me the manual bit is a singular event, I'm not going to signup to do shit periodically...that's the computer's job. :)

But this is where I'm getting a bit confused. It sounds like you configured connectors to live pull all of the contact info into the Exchange system. So that if you add/update a contact in FaceBook/Linked in/Gmail after the fact it will still (via the connector) share the new/updated info with all devices connected to Exchange's contact list. That would be fraught with turmoil as you say the Business Battle rages on.

My typical deployment is to centralize data scattered everywhere onto a single system, import all of the info into that system, and then to use it exclusively going forward. This way any and every thing that connects to it can/will get the same information set.

Do you actually need live sharing interactively between (FaceBook/Gmail/Linked in/Etc.) systems on an ongoing basis? Or do you just want/need a singular clean merger of all the contact info into a single contiguous block once so you can at all points work from there going forward?
-Stoic Joker (November 21, 2013, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I was thinking about what you said, and you're probably right.  I'm just OCD'ing on it a bit too much I guess.  SO here's a question about your method (which is what I used to do):
Why do I even need exchange for this?  what advantage does it offer?

Because what you are essentially saying is that your going to export and import stuff until you have in one location (exchange), and then you just modify that going forward. But it doesn't matter if it's exchange, google contacts, apple, etc.  Because they're all the same as far as that goes.  the syncing is what would distinguish anything for me.  So then...what's the best one and why?

Also, if that was the case, then I'm willing to go for a third party contact manager and just divorce myself completely from the big boys.  Especially if the third party offered nifty features.  Otherwise my choices would be google contacts, exchange, windows live...in that order.  Google contacts just because my phone is android and would make it easier.

superboyac:
Now I'm considering the "bring everything to one place" strategy.  I'm going to try the Handy Address Book software I used to like.  Supposedly it can sync with google contacts, so that's nice.  The whole setup overall will cost me $50 or $100 depending on if I need the server component or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version