ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

central addressbook software for syncing everything with everything

(1/9) > >>

superboyac:
Ever since getting an Android phone, I've become obsessed with properly syncing all my contacts.  All the comapnies are fighting each other for properietary control of your life, so they just aren't playing nice with each other.  I've been trying all sorts of apps, hacks, imports/exports, desktop software, plugins.  I'm like 70% of the way there, but still a long way to go.

The goal:
Have a central place where all your contacts are managed.  This place sends (syncs) the information to wherever...Android phone, google contacts, outlook contacts.  All information...meaning profile photos from facebook, business numbers from linkedin, normal contacts from google, etc.

Here's the issue:
Facebook has the best profile photos.
Linkedin has business info other places don't.
Google contacts needs to get the final version of all the info because that's the most reliable way to get it on your phone.
Outlook is a good place to manage things centrally since it's on the desktop and has a rich featureset.
Problem with Outlook is that the scoial connectors to facebook and linkedin aren't really working.
So maybe you can get a third party tool that works with all of them, set it up, sync it to outlook, and outlook syncs it to google.

There's a good google-to-outlook sync.  So if I can get everything in Outlook, that would be great.  This is where I'm currently stuck.

Another more difficult option is using an app on the phone that will sync things, and then getting that information back on the computer, fixing little details there, and sending it back to the phone.  The problem with this is that the apps that do this, do it in a weird way.  They don't necessarily sync the details...it's more like they allow you to see them on the same screen.  In other words, the google contacts still shows just the google contacts info, but on the phone it looks like you have more info because it's reading things from the facebook app.  It's just a trick.

Anyway, ugh.

superboyac:
Er...here's an odd thing or question:

Since I previously had a Windows Phone 8, all my contacts were perfectly synced on it.  If I login to the Windows Live site on my computer, the same perfectly synced contacts show up.  Now, one would expect to be able to link those contacts to my desktop Outlook 2010...but such an option doesn't seem to exist!  What the Fu--!  Microsoft won't even play nice with itself?  Geez.

Stoic Joker:
MS hosted Exchange: $4 per user per month - with a 1 user minimum - and it will sync everything with anything (Android/iLife/etc.) on the fly.

superboyac:
MS hosted Exchange: $4 per user per month - with a 1 user minimum - and it will sync everything with anything (Android/iLife/etc.) on the fly.
-Stoic Joker (November 15, 2013, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't even know what that is.  But it might be worth it!  $48 a year?  I'm in...I've already spent several hours on this.  i think I'm worth a few bucks an hour, no?

superboyac:
-Stoic Joker (November 15, 2013, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Where can I find more details on the features?  I'm checking out their website, and the lingo is so stupid and corporate bullshit.  How do the contacts get on the android?  is it integrated, or is it a separate app?  How does it work with desktop outlook 2010?  Photos from facebook?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version