ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Heeee's Baaaaack!!! Stephen Wolfram is going to revolutionize everything again.

(1/2) > >>

40hz:
Ok...the guy who brought us the Wolfram Alpha search engine, and that wonderful book A New Kind of Science, is now about to introduce a new programming language, modestly and creatively named The Wolfram Language.

Here's how he gushes about describes this latest marvel in his blog:

Something Very Big Is Coming: Our Most Important Technology Project Yet
November 13, 2013

Computational knowledge. Symbolic programming. Algorithm automation. Dynamic interactivity. Natural language. Computable documents. The cloud. Connected devices. Symbolic ontology. Algorithm discovery. These are all things we’ve been energetically working on—mostly for years—in the context of Wolfram|Alpha, Mathematica, CDF and so on.

But recently something amazing has happened. We’ve figured out how to take all these threads, and all the technology we’ve built, to create something at a whole different level. The power of what is emerging continues to surprise me. But already I think it’s clear that it’s going to be profoundly important in the technological world, and beyond.

At some level it’s a vast unified web of technology that builds on what we’ve created over the past quarter century. At some level it’s an intellectual structure that actualizes a new computational view of the world. And at some level it’s a practical system and framework that’s going to be a fount of incredibly useful new services and products.

I have to admit I didn’t entirely see it coming. For years I have gradually understood more and more about what the paradigms we’ve created make possible. But what snuck up on me is a breathtaking new level of unification—that lets one begin to see that all the things we’ve achieved in the past 25+ years are just steps on a path to something much bigger and more important.

Something big is coming...

I’m not going to be able to explain everything in this blog post (let’s hope it doesn’t ultimately take something as long as A New Kind of Science to do so!). But I’m excited to begin to share some of what’s been happening. And over the months to come I look forward to describing some of the spectacular things we’re creating—and making them widely available.

It’s hard to foresee the ultimate consequences of what we’re doing. But the beginning is to provide a way to inject sophisticated computation and knowledge into everything—and to make it universally accessible to humans, programs and machines, in a way that lets all of them interact at a vastly richer and higher level than ever before.

A crucial building block of all this is what we’re calling the Wolfram Language.

<more>

--- End quote ---

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or ask for some of whatever it is he's drinking or smoking this week...

Oh well...time will tell I suppose. Just like it did before.  ;) ;D

Link to Wolfram's blog article here.

mouser:
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or ask for some of whatever it is he's drinking or smoking this week...
--- End quote ---

ditto.

well it will be INTERESTING, that's for sure.  but if it's a new language in the same way that his book was a new kind of science, it basically means we are going to get a reinvention of Perl with new terms for everything.

xtabber:
...well it will be INTERESTING, that's for sure.  but if it's a new language in the same way that his book was a new kind of science, it basically means we are going to get a reinvention of Perl with new terms for everything.
-mouser (November 15, 2013, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

... just wait for the price tag.

40hz:
it basically means we are going to get a reinvention of Perl with new terms for everything.
--- End quote ---

ROFLMAO!!!

Thx Mouser. That made my day! ;D :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
it basically means we are going to get a reinvention of Perl with new terms for everything.
--- End quote ---

ROFLMAO!!!

Thx Mouser. That made my day! ;D :Thmbsup:
-40hz (November 15, 2013, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
This guy is such a fascinating character, and obviously not always in a good way.  He sure knows how to market himself.  I can't stand him normally, but then his website really is pretty genius.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version