ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do I control font size in PDF?

(1/2) > >>

tslim:
Hi,

I am not familiar with how fonts are used in a PDF document, but quite often, I do need to convert MS WORD docx documents to PDF (for reading purpose).

I notice that I can save a docx file as a PDF document from MS WORD 2010 and its save option also lets me control how the PDF file is being generated, but it seems that I can't control:

1. The font type in the output PDF
I suppose I can embed the font as used by the source docx file into the PDF, but I just couldn't figure out how to do that?

2. I also don't know how to control the size of a font in PDF when it is being view at 100% document size.

Could anyone recommend a utility, sort of WORD to PDF converter that can do the above mentioned?

I don't mind paying a shareware price (definitely don't want to pay high price like Adobe Acrobat) for it, but I do require the converter program to be hyperlink aware. i.e. it must be aware of hyperlinks in a docx source and make sure they also exist in the output PDF (like what MS WORD save as PDF does)

tomos:
I dont use Word myself, but would have thought that almost any PDF converter/printer would do the job. (The type where you print the file to PDF - the pdf file is then created.)

I use PDFCreator myself - it's got lots of options, but there are a few default choices that would cover almost all eventualities, e.g. for web; printshop (publication); etc. AFAIK all of these options embed the font (by default, only the characters used). A word of warning - it always tries to install unwanted toolbars etc.

I dont quite understand the second question - the size of the font in the display is going to depend on the font size used in your word processor. If it's being displayed @ 100%, I guess the theory is that this would be the size when printed. In my experience this is never quite the case - it possibly depends on the PDF reader and monitor resolution etc etc

tslim:
I dont use Word myself, but would have thought that almost any PDF converter/printer would do the job. (The type where you print the file to PDF - the pdf file is then created.)

I use PDFCreator myself - it's got lots of options, but there are a few default choices that would cover almost all eventualities, e.g. for web; printshop (publication); etc. AFAIK all of these options embed the font (by default, only the characters used). A word of warning - it always tries to install unwanted toolbars etc.

I dont quite understand the second question - the size of the font in the display is going to depend on the font size used in your word processor. If it's being displayed @ 100%, I guess the theory is that this would be the size when printed. In my experience this is never quite the case - it possibly depends on the PDF reader and monitor resolution etc etc
-tomos (November 14, 2013, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

My second question: when I create a document with say a font size of 18 (at least that is what the size I prefer while I am in MS Word), but if I then save the document as PDF, I always end up generating a PDF with much smaller font size, at least that is what I can immediately see when I open up the PDF under 100% size (I mean no zooming in or out)

tomos:
My second question: when I create a document with say a font size of 18 (at least that is what the size I prefer while I am in MS Word), but if I then save the document as PDF, I always end up generating a PDF with much smaller font size, at least that is what I can immediately see when I open up the PDF under 100% size (I mean no zooming in or out)
-tslim (November 15, 2013, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's difficult to compare how a file looks in different programmes/formats. The only *real* test of this, is to print out each file - if Word is any good at making PDFs, they should be exactly the same. If not, try a dfferent method of PDF creation.

tslim:
-tslim (November 15, 2013, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's difficult to compare how a file looks in different programmes/formats. The only *real* test of this, is to print out each file - if Word is any good at making PDFs, they should be exactly the same. If not, try a dfferent method of PDF creation.
-tomos (November 15, 2013, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yap, that is why I am looking for recommendation of a good word to pdf conversion utility.
May I ask this, is PDFCreator hyperlink aware?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version