ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Open Source debate

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
Management are the ones who are peppering the place with Bloody iPads and demanding Bring-Your-Own-Disaster sooner than the infrastructure can support it. Management can't make decisions if they're not informed of the options; they also can't be informed if they have their fingers stuck in their ears because they're not smart enough to understand what they're being told -- or prefer to believe that a deus ex machina will materialise at the 11th hour.-oblivion (November 13, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

+10 - Love your definition of BYOD ... Seriously man, I'm friggin' stealing it! :D I wish I had a nickel for every time the brass got back from some seminar all wound up over some new fad technology trend that they wanted to throw money at ... That didn't friggin work. I don't care if it'll sell "like hot cakes" if it's only going to require us to hire 6 more people to handle the load of people screaming at us...Then it's a stupid idea. ;)
-Stoic Joker (November 13, 2013, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. And speaking as an unrepentant BOFH I find they're almost as annoying as the IT types who go into a meeting and make a bonehead declaration that open source software is a security nightmare purely by virtue of the fact it is open. Especially when they should know better. (And to think these guys get paid the big bucks!)

So c'mon guys...we do this stuff for a living. Bash management if you will. But we still have far too many outdated and clueless techno-wankers living under our own roof in the bowels of IT. Let's stop covering for these morons.
 ;D

wraith808:
It's basically FUD vs Duh?

40hz:
It's basically FUD vs Duh?
-wraith808 (November 14, 2013, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you nailed it with that one! ;D

(Hope you don't mind if I use that during a meeting someday. I promise I'll give you credit.) :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Sure, it's CC-by ( ;D j/k )  :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
I am still fuming over this.

Today, in a meeting at work, I mentioned that one of our senior doctors was looking at an open source product that might be a worthy replacement for the aging and soon-to-die (it won't run under Win7) clinical information system we use.

One of the IT attendees said straight away that he wouldn't allow anything open source running in our environment. Why? I asked. "Well, it's insecure. If the code's available to anyone, then anything could happen. A security nightmare."

Aghast as I was, I had no instant answer. I mumbled something incoherent about open source encryption tools that probably nobody there gave any credence to at all and the conversation moved on.

-oblivion (November 12, 2013, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well let's "evolve" an answer. (Eek! Don't hurt me for sounding all PHB!) The "let's share a laugh" joke-but-half-true fantasy is:

"Oh, remember that free day you all got two months ago? I already replaced it. But I copied the front end exactly, so you never noticed, and remember how much y'all said it was better than ever? Exactly."

But yes. Fantasy land.

"...and the conversation moved on."

Bingo. Because there was no secondary higher level Mgt proponent who said "hold on, let's look at this!"

So sounds to me like there's a bit of networking to do before some Big Meeting. Because Joe from the Controller's Office might have chipped in, "ya know, he's got a point, it does X and Y and Z that we can't do, and it would save five grand per audit..."

But even a General Manager could have called a halt and said "let's go into this a few minutes. Why is it insecure? Do we assume Windows is safer?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version