topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Phone 8 (lumia 920) vs. Android 4.4 Kitkat (Nexus 5)  (Read 7637 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Phone 8 (lumia 920) vs. Android 4.4 Kitkat (Nexus 5)
« on: November 10, 2013, 06:22 PM »
So I've been using the lumia 920 for the past year.  I have my posts on it here in the forums.  Overall, it has a couple of nice features but very underwhelming.

So the nexus 5 came out and i got it.  If anyone is interested in comparisons, let me know.  Here's what I've noticed so far:

Of all the interfaces, I like the Windows one the best with the tiles because they have a lot of interactivity to them.  However, hardly any apps take advantage of them in any kind of helpful way.  The best is probably facebook with the grid of pictures it shows.  But it would be nice to get more useful stuff there.  Windows also has the best integration of contacts of all the other phones (ios, android).

But Android as you all know is the one that lets you do the most with the phone, and just they way you want it.  Android has widgets which is what tiles do in windows.  The widgets are not as smooth as tiles, but there are so many kinds that you'll find something satisfactory.  I can also use all sorts of apps, transfer files, root, customize...way more than other phones.

The Nexus phone is fast and light and awesome.  The biggest headache so far was spending hours getting all my contacts organized properly with all the services.  After that, this thing is a joy.  Windows is far too locked down to have fun with it.  Iphone is the same, but still much more open than windows.

Anyway, that's the update so far.  It's a nice phone, I don't miss the lumia at all.  in fact, it's quite liberating.  MS needs to get it's ass in gear, cmon.  Android is providing the windows experience that we are all used to, and MS has gone completely the other direction in making the most restrictive, over simplified phone operating system on the planet.  Geez.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Phone 8 (lumia 920) vs. Android 4.4 Kitkat (Nexus 5)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01 AM »
Good to know. I like the idea of getting a Nexus 5. Problem is my Nexus S is still holding it's own. Only just but not bad enough to justify upgrading.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14 PM »
Good to know. I like the idea of getting a Nexus 5. Problem is my Nexus S is still holding it's own. Only just but not bad enough to justify upgrading.

Seems to be true.  A friend of mine has an 18-month old nexus (samsung?) and it is still very fine.  These Nexus phones really hold up well over the months compared to some other android devices I've used.  And the geek community develops so many things for them, so there's all these fixes for things.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19 PM »
And it seems the Nexus 5 works on almost all carriers in the USA. But not Verizon.

Seems to be true.  A friend of mine has an 18-month old nexus (samsung?) and it is still very fine.  These Nexus phones really hold up well over the months compared to some other android devices I've used.  And the geek community develops so many things for them, so there's all these fixes for things.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexusw is 2 years old. Your friend may have gotten it 18 months ago, but the Galaxy Nexus was released in November 2011. It's the phone I have, and it's still fairly decent. But I'm starting to feel the lack of storage and the slowness of the device. And sadly Google has announced it won't be getting OS updates anymore, so it may be time to get a Nexus 5 soon. (c:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:47 AM by Deozaan »

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31 AM »
And sadly Google has announced it won't be getting OS updates anymore, so it may be time to get a Nexus 5 soon. (c:

KitKat is meant to be designed for lower spec phones and should speed everything up again. Google isn't releasing it for the earlier phones, by there's custom ROMs out there already.
I might have to try one. I'll have to kill the phone manually to get a new one.

Actually I lost it a while back, and my best bet to replace it was an identical one 2nd hand for $90. Why pay more?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Boy...I have been tweaking away on the android.  I have such a sweet setup going currently.  Lots of great previews of emails messsages, etc, all over the place, quick access to contacts, shortcuts for controls.  Man, I miss tweaking.  If Windows Phone allowed this kind of tweaking it would be even better, but sadly they won't anytime soon.  Also, all these things are available because so many people are using android.  So windows has a loooong way to go.  I'm even using a couple of hacks not in the official store, stuff like that is amazing.