ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you delete accounts you did not sign up for?

<< < (2/2)

cthorpe:
I occasionally get stuff like that.  My response is to to what 4wd does.

The worst (at least for the individual who did it) was a few months ago when some guy with my same name used my email address when saving an online application for a security sensitive civil service job.  I got an email telling me that I could access "my" application by clicking a link.  When I clicked the link, I was taken directly to the application with every single bit of private information about this guy.  SSN, driver's license number, birthdate, current address, past addresses, phone numbers, current employer, past employers, family member info, and other assorted info required for governmental background checks.  I was surprised that no password was required to access the saved application.

In that case, I called the dude and told him what he had done.  He seemed genuinely surprised that the email address, which I have had since gmail launched, was not his email address.

C

bit:
Maybe try this:
Just Delete Me

lanux128:
gmail is terrible at this. if someone sets my email as *their* recovery address, gmail merrily sends me a congratulatory message (with an advice to disregard if it was not intentional). shouldn't they first send a verification code to the person who keyed-in my email as their recovery email?

4wd:
gmail is terrible at this. if someone sets my email as *their* recovery address, gmail merrily sends me a congratulatory message (with an advice to disregard if it was not intentional). shouldn't they first send a verification code to the person who keyed-in my email as their recovery email?-lanux128 (December 04, 2013, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since I don't use recovery email addresses, does it tell you who you are a recovery address for?

Send them an email politely asking them to change it ...

Then you can get nasty if they don't do it.  >:D

Just Delete Me-bit (November 22, 2013, 02:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Account Killer covers more accounts.

lanux128:
gmail is terrible at this. if someone sets my email as *their* recovery address, gmail merrily sends me a congratulatory message (with an advice to disregard if it was not intentional). shouldn't they first send a verification code to the person who keyed-in my email as their recovery email?-lanux128 (December 04, 2013, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since I don't use recovery email addresses, does it tell you who you are a recovery address for?

Send them an email politely asking them to change it ...

Then you can get nasty if they don't do it.  >:D

Just Delete Me-bit (November 22, 2013, 02:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Account Killer covers more accounts.-4wd (December 05, 2013, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

i contacted one such person and he said that couldn't get his username of choice so he used the one google suggested. then he goes on to use the email that he *did* want as the recovery email because according to him, that is what google told him to do. i am pretty sure he got it wrong but i still feel that google dropped the ball on this one by not asking for verification.

but thanks for the account-killers! will go through them to see if they are effective. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version