ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

<< < (13/15) > >>

tomos:
At this stage, I suspect this is a combination of pure incompetence, and an unwillingness to let go of the ideal of having gmail and g+ and YT using the same name.
-tomos (September 09, 2014, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to go with incompetence.-Renegade (September 10, 2014, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

that was funny with Chrome :huh: :)

hasn't improved since either (with FF/win7 at any rate):

* I can like a video, but not someone's comment
* if I try to comment, it tries to get me to create a new g+ page (with my 'real' name as per gmail account)
* but, I just discovered, if I share the video and click the g+ button - I'm able to post as expected (i.e. with the g+ account that I am logged into and viewing the YT page with)
so, definitely seems like incompetence

IainB:
Lots of media now talking about this.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Gmail users no longer have to embrace Google+ ... The Inquirer
That’s a positive

By Dave Neal
Mon Sep 22 2014, 10:26

GOOGLE HAS STOPPED requiring that new subscribers to its services join its social network Google+.

Google+ is something of an also-ran among social networks and does not have the same traction as Facebook or Twitter, for example.

Perhaps hoping to increase user numbers and generate network momemtum, Google insisted that its new Gmail users adopt its social network by signing up for Google+ accounts, and it has been doing so since the beginning of 2012.

That requirement is no more, and neither is Vic Gundotra still the Google executive in charge of the network. When he departed this spring the suggestion was the Google+ might follow him.

Now, according to a report on Larry Kim's Wordstream blog, the writing is on the wall, although unfortunately for Google, it's probably on a Facebook wall.

Kim said that the requirement was dropped quietly this month, and Google confirmed this move over the weekend.

A Google spokesperson told The INQUIRER that the requirement to sign up for both Gmail and Google+ has been changed, but added that Google+ is still a thing and that if people want it, they can still get it.

"We updated the signup experience in early September," said the spokesperson. "Users can now create a public profile during signup, or later, if and when they share public content for the first time (like a restaurant review, Youtube video or Google+ post)."

A new "No thanks" button will now allow users to skip creating a Google+ account when they signs up for a Gmail, Google Docs, or other Google account.

Gundotra's Google+ account still exists and remains active, so thats something. µ
--- End quote ---

rgdot:
Going on a tangent:

I, as many others, said early on that if G+ is aiming to reach Facebook level activity within a handful of years it is being delusional.

But it is by no means empty or deserted. 'Sharing with family' type updates is probably what keeps Facebook going more than any other. G+ was never going to just capture that market.

wraith808:
Going on a tangent:

I, as many others, said early on that if G+ is aiming to reach Facebook level activity within a handful of years it is being delusional.

But it is by no means empty or deserted. 'Sharing with family' type updates is probably what keeps Facebook going more than any other. G+ was never going to just capture that market.
-rgdot (September 27, 2014, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

While this is true... I think its more because they tend to serve different purposes.  Facebook is a more archaic form of social networking- grouping things in one location no matter who they are from and what its purpose is.  And that familiarity is the very reason that G+ had a long uphill climb ahead of it.  But, people predicting its demise are also doing it for one self-serving reason or another.  For connecting with groups of people and having communities, I think that G+ is a lot better in functionality and form.  For connecting with individuals?  Not so much.

tomos:
My YouTube/G+ account uses my YT name, but is connected with my 'real-name' gmail address.
Here's what I now see when in G+ which is under my Youtube name (clicking the icon top-right of page; Win7 x64; Firefox)

YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

Notice that the gmail account + real name is labeled 'default'.
I think this is simply a bug (it works different in Win8) but I'll chance asking:
Anyone know if there's any way of changing this, and making my YT/G+ name/account the default ?

it's slightly different on a YT page

1) my email (no name)
   2) my YT name
   3) just my email again

If I click on the 'change' after my YT name I just get brought to my G+ page

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version