ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

<< < (3/15) > >>

mouser:
Google is all about shoving it's stuff down our throats and doing whatever they have to do to lock everyone into their products.  They use sneakier tactics than others, but the intent seems clear -- buy and get your tentacles into enough stuff and slowly make it impossible to use the internet without being dependent on google technology.

NSWF (language):

Note:

I don't have particular complaints about any one specific google product or decision.  I just think when you put it all together what you see is a smarmy, greedy company whose goal is to get their grubby hands into everything and push out all competitors, and then worry about how to take advantage of us (or inundate us with advertisements) once we're locked in and the competition is killed.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record -- but it wouldn't be so upsetting if a company came in and said: "ok here is our service, and here is how we're going to pay for it"  but instead what we see, over and over again is a big company like google comes in, kills all the competition and establishes a monopoly by offering a free service with no advertisements.

Then after they capture the marketplace and spend a few years happily losing money and killing off the competitors who don't have as deep bank accounts, then they turn on the ads and start changing the terms of service, and using one service as a platform to push their other services.

And the worst thing about all this is that these companies make it virtually impossible for any small companies to compete with them -- it's a winner take all world and without the bankrole to bleed millions a year for a decade, you have no chance.

IainB:
This guy makes a pretty valid rant about the Google+ - Youtube clusterfuck.
-nosh (November 12, 2013, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
wow, I didnt realise that things are *that* bad.
I didnt understand why weird comments were top of the list - if you go to that video on YT, someone did a test where they replied 500 times to a post complaining about the new sorting system. Oh, cant see it any more - the video has gone viral folks. Including swastikas and god knows what else in the comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjocZXHOg4
The marriage of Google+ and YouTube is in big trouble by the looks of it ....
-tomos (November 12, 2013, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amazing, I had been trying to avoid the almost coercive push by Google to get me registered on g+, but now I'm on it. It became impossible to avoid unless I shut down my google account.
Because I rarely use YouTube except to download/watch the odd video, I had not realised that it had become an apparently monumental clusterfark - as suggested by boogie2988 (the fat guy with the beard in a post above) and SONSofLIBERTYIII (the "Hot Girl" singing with the ukulele in the above post).

I can see why @mouser has the opinion that he does ^^ about Google, and I suspect he's probably right in what he says, but I would give Google some credit for introducing quite a lot of disruptive technology that has changed the landscape of the Internet in several novel and beneficial ways.
Google have at least tried to create or acquire some entirely new things - for example, Google Desktop Search, Picasa, Google Reader, Google Docs (was Writely) and WAVE - and by releasing lots/most (all?) of their stuff as "Beta" and with lots of hype, were able to mobilise large numbers of Internet users to put their prototypes through the hoops. Of course, this means that when people like boogie2988 complain and ask Google to "fix" the YouTube clusterfark, it doesn't really matter, because boogie2988 is not a paying customer - he's one of Google's millions of unpaid resources.
The real customers are presumably the advertisers and others who directly pay Google for their services. The market in which they play is one of Google's creation and it is ubiquitous, though I am unsure as to whether it is a "monopoly" per se (by strict definition).

CWuestefeld:
a big company like google comes in, kills all the competition and establishes a monopoly by offering a free service with no advertisements.
-mouser (November 12, 2013, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see how you get to this. Google achieved dominance by having search results that were incredibly better than its competition at the time (Yahoo, Alta Vista, etc.). And back in those days, much of the web had no advertising, as the companies were trying to establish mindshare first.

I also don't see how you can claim that Google is a monopoly in any of the services it performs. For search there's Bing and numerous smaller players; for video there's Vimeo and others; for email there's Outlook.com and too many others to even think about; for social networking, they're playing second fiddle at best; and so on.

So where you're using Google, it's because, in one way or another, you believe they've got a superior product.

tomos:
^ pretty much agree there.

So where you're using Google, it's because, in one way or another, you believe they've got a superior product.
-CWuestefeld (November 14, 2013, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that would be generally true of the type of people who come here.
I dont use their search much any more myself, I find others superior.
I've been bribed to the tune of 15GB to use their email and am happy enough to allow that. That *used* to be a superior offer at any rate :-)

As for YouTube:
the problem for both google and the people who use YouTube, is this sudden deterioration - i.e. it's no longer superior. I dont know was it ever superior - is it not a bit like FB in that: everyone goes there simply because everyone goes there (?)
(I dont actually know the history of YT.)

Stoic Joker:
NSWF (language):

-mouser (November 12, 2013, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bummer...comments and ratings have been disabled for that video ... Guess Google isn't listening through the right hole..

Good voice, can carry a tune, kinda cute ... She should do more videos (hehe).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version