ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

<< < (2/15) > >>

Fred Nerd:
So basically it's all moving towards everything being linked in. I'm just glad I guessed it would happen and have several fake identities that were created a long time ago.
Even now I have too much with my real name. I have changed it on Facebook but I know it remembers it. It told me I could only change it once more so make sure I put my real name in. Suffice to say I didn't.
It's not that I don't like everything tied together, it's just that if everyone does, it will get more and more enforced. If everyone kept creating false accounts, and untying everything, they wouldn't try to force it so much.

Not to mention the issue of identity theft.

And the whole attraction of the internet was so you could post anonymously. You can say honest things. Such as on this forum no-one knows me, so I could tell you things that happen locally, and report it exactly without worrying about offending anyone. If this was linked to FB or G+, this would be posted there and someone could take offence.
I want to be allowed to post that I think shooting kangaroos is a good idea without losing my friends who disagree.

If we let things link, we'll get a lot of yes people, or a lot of fashionable haters.

nosh:
This guy makes a pretty valid rant about the Google+ - Youtube clusterfuck.

TaoPhoenix:
I don't mind needing a G+ account to comment, since I rarely ever comment on youtube.

But what I do mind is how when I share a video on G+, or comment on a video on G+, all the comments from the videos will now appear on Youtube. And this is retroactive. And it also means that if anyone replies to a G+ imported comment thread on Youtube, it will now appear on the original thread on G+.

Be really careful what videos you share on G+. If the quality of the comments are poor on Youtube, or there is a whole lot of trolling and flaming going on, you can now expect that type of comments to spread to your G+ like a disease.
I have a youtube account that is not associated with my real name/G+ account. Google forced a secondary G+ identity on me that exists as a Youtube channel under my main account. It allows me to keep them separated, but not have to deal with having 2 google accounts to do it.
-app103 (November 07, 2013, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah that's REALLY unfortunate because except for some misc thing I never comment on YouTube. But G+ (why did we get addicted to +1?) was supposed to be the "Geek's Facebook" ... with a higher standard of user! So with sneaky changes like this, it's mashing basement dirt YouTube comments with what might be carefully curated G+ account! And mess up one little feature, or some strange click box, and Boom! You just wrecked your G+ account!

Facebook has their own evils, but I don't know of anything comparable on their side that can cause that much damage! (Instagram maybe?)

40hz:
I suppose it's easier to insist on a G+ account when you own the service requiring it.

Feedly, that popular alternative for the now defunct  GoogleReader service, tried to do the same recently - and got their collective butt handed back to them by their subscribers.

Feedly has since reversed course and admitted it was a mistake.

More on that GoogleReader[/i]]here and here.

tomos:
This guy makes a pretty valid rant about the Google+ - Youtube clusterfuck.
-nosh (November 12, 2013, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

wow, I didnt realise that things are *that* bad.
I didnt understand why weird comments were top of the list - if you go to that video on YT, someone did a test where they replied 500 times to a post complaining about the new sorting system. Oh, cant see it any more - the video has gone viral folks. Including swastikas and god knows what else in the comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjocZXHOg4

The marriage of Google+ and YouTube is in big trouble by the looks of it ....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version