ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

(1/15) > >>

tomos:
YouTube have been annoying me for a long time with trying to persuade me to use my real name. The other option was to continue with my YT name - but *both* options led to the creation of a google+ account. So, I always 'X'd out of it, as I didnt want a google+ account.

Finally today, I was given the choice: create a google+ account or do not comment!
So I created a google plus account with my youtube name.

Immediately after, I got this banner:

Already having regrets, I clicked on the undo option.
Got this option:

so I tried the "Temporarily disconnect..." and got this:

- all blurred out names there are the same - which is a little confusing. I didnt go through with it though because
1) it said "Temporarily disconnect..." (my emphasis)
2) I reckon the G+ account is already created so wont make a whole lot of difference
3) it would disconnect the two but then I would probably be back where I started - unable to comment in YT

tomos:
Apart from not liking to be forced to do something; and my lack of enthusiasm for the 'social' web after my experiences with Facebook - well, I dont actually mind having a G+ account that much.

I have particular interests in music and sport and follow these to a certain extent on YT. I can imagine enjoying having all of my comments and maybe likes/favourites/etc. available in a possibly more accessible manner. We'll see. But I'm not ready for the approach where I dump everything I do on the web into one page for the world to see. I dont think I'll ever *want* that - I mean if I want to share my interest in e.g. Old-Time or Bluegrass music - I pretty much only want to share it with people I know are interested.

So, I have mixed feelings about this. Will see how I get on.

One thing I already hate G+ for:
it steals the Ctrl+PgUp/Dn shortcut for moving through the tabs in Firefox >:(

dr_andus:
Is this just about commenting?

So, for people who don't care about commenting (and don't want Google+), could they maintain their dual identity?

Or is the writing on the wall?

In which case the only viable option for someone who don't want to merge it with their real name would be to delete their Youtube a/c, I presume (if that's even possible)?

app103:
I don't mind needing a G+ account to comment, since I rarely ever comment on youtube.

But what I do mind is how when I share a video on G+, or comment on a video on G+, all the comments from the videos will now appear on Youtube. And this is retroactive. And it also means that if anyone replies to a G+ imported comment thread on Youtube, it will now appear on the original thread on G+.

Be really careful what videos you share on G+. If the quality of the comments are poor on Youtube, or there is a whole lot of trolling and flaming going on, you can now expect that type of comments to spread to your G+ like a disease.

Is this just about commenting?

So, for people who don't care about commenting (and don't want Google+), could they maintain their dual identity?

Or is the writing on the wall?

In which case the only viable option for someone who don't want to merge it with their real name would be to delete their Youtube a/c, I presume (if that's even possible)?
-dr_andus (November 07, 2013, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a youtube account that is not associated with my real name/G+ account. Google forced a secondary G+ identity on me that exists as a Youtube channel under my main account. It allows me to keep them separated, but not have to deal with having 2 google accounts to do it.

tomos:
I have a youtube account that is not associated with my real name/G+ account. Google forced a secondary G+ identity on me that exists as a Youtube channel under my main account. It allows me to keep them separated, but not have to deal with having 2 google accounts to do it.
-app103 (November 07, 2013, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

so do you have two G+ accounts with one gmail account?
That sounds like a good solution - I suspect it wont be offered to those who have no prior G+ account though...

Is this just about commenting?-dr_andus (November 07, 2013, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

so far anyway.
Re deleting accounts - you can delete your youtube account. It may be more difficult to create a (new) YT account separate from any current gmail accounts - you might have to get creative :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version