ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

new Site for my Software

<< < (4/9) > >>

4wd:
Here's one.  (see attachment in previous post)-Stoic Joker (November 08, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey there, which way ya headin' buddy?

anandcoral:
Hi Miles,

Checked your new website. Simple, clean and good looking. Good work.

One thing I noted that you make it hard to contact you. Obviously we all hate spammers, but from my experience, I found that no matter how hard I try, it is the legitimate user, who just want to simply say thank you, go away, but the spammers get what they want.
Anyway it is your choice.

Regards,

Anand

Stoic Joker:
One thing I noted that you make it hard to contact you. Obviously we all hate spammers, but from my experience, I found that no matter how hard I try, it is the legitimate user, who just want to simply say thank you, go away, but the spammers get what they want.
Anyway it is your choice.-anandcoral (November 09, 2013, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh Wow! I didn't even notice that on first pass (I actually thought the page wasn't done yet). That is pretty user hostile in the jumping through hoops department. I just use the embedded send mail control (CDO IIRC) so the address is never displayed on our companies websites and it seems to be doing fine. We get spam sure...but it isn't routed through that Email address.

For my own site, I don't bother hiding the Email address at all as it's already displayed in various programs I've written (so it's out there already). The result of that is the signal to noise ratio of my inbox is typically in the 80-90% (spam) range ... But this serves a purpose as I like to see what type of Email shenanigans are going on out in the wild to better prepare for their aftermath on client machines at work.

Note: I am not recommending the second practice as it is indeed risky as hell ... But the first one (for company sites) has worked out quite well.

MilesAhead:
The page has a long way to go.  App is actually doing it. I've never used WordPress (as you could tell if you ever visited the FavesSoft site.  Just blocks of color done by hand in css and html.  The only "tool" I used was a navigation panel generator.)

There will be means of contact as well as donation buttons. From what App is telling me it will likely be possible to post bug reports etc..  She has a free hand as long as my software can be downloaded from there.

So if it looks good when done it will be due to App's work.  I just uploaded the zip files.  :)

TaoPhoenix:
Anyway it is your choice.-anandcoral (November 09, 2013, 02:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh Wow! I didn't even notice that on first pass (I actually thought the page wasn't done yet). That is pretty user hostile in the jumping through hoops department. I just use the embedded send mail control (CDO IIRC) so the address is never displayed on our companies websites and it seems to be doing fine. We get spam sure...but it isn't routed through that Email address.

For my own site, I don't bother hiding the Email address at all as it's already displayed in various programs I've written (so it's out there already). The result of that is the signal to noise ratio of my inbox is typically in the 80-90% (spam) range ... But this serves a purpose as I like to see what type of Email shenanigans are going on out in the wild to better prepare for their aftermath on client machines at work.

Note: I am not recommending the second practice as it is indeed risky as hell ... But the first one (for company sites) has worked out quite well.
-Stoic Joker (November 09, 2013, 07:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Everything that rises must converge" - Flannery O'Connor

I've been a bit grouchy lately, taking a bit of the "undercurrent side" of the sugar-gloss of what is going on tech world. So skipping the Anti-Company rants for this note, "in this FaceBook Like and GooglePlus +1 World", ponder for a moment why you think that the email address will stay hidden at all very long? I'll step back this time, but nothing prevents "me" (aka anyone ever) from just pasting the plaintext email address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version