ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

The Hunt for the Best CMS

<< < (2/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
pity

crono:
I have worked in the past with a lot of CMSs (Mambo, Typo3, Rainbow Portal (=ASP.NET), Drupal...) - and I have to tell you that none of them would meet all of those requirements...

But then i'm also thinking a static page generation cms using templates would be best for low-cpu usage (having every page access go through a dynamic cms is a big hit on cpu/memory because of database stuff).
-mouser (May 16, 2006, 04:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
This could be done with Typo3 easily - you can cache Pages or even create Static HTML files after changing a page

And I like having the main site content be in flat files that i can easily edit from home.

--- End quote ---
Hmmm... this is more the wiki thing - or the Flatfile Version of Mambo (It was a Fork from the original Mambo - dont remember the name right now :() - on the other Hand - if you would like to change the layout form home, you could just modify the templates and if you want to create content just use a text editor and pasting it the next time your on the cms

But tight forum integration is a must..

--- End quote ---
This is not trivial - in fact I think the tight integration is the killer argument for the choosen CMS - on www.tutorials.de (one of the biggest german it-help-communities), which is very forum "centric" we tried to integrate the forum on Typo3 - we failed - so we built the "content" pages around the forum - I think this is the same way you do with the current version of this page...

* good clean organization for website admin to edit files by hand with custom html
* but ability for other authors to write articles/long reviews with an easy onsite editor
* php would be preferred since most everything else on this site is powered by php
* good search features.
* looks clean and supports our sidebar theme.
--- End quote ---
this can be done with Typo3 out of the box

* ability for coders to be able to host their software nicely
--- End quote ---
this is imo more a conceptual thing - when you can define what "nicely" means, than you could do it in most cms (building seperate sections with different layouts and so on...)

tight integration with smf forum so people can leave comments on reviews, etc. through the forum and have it listed on the page

--- End quote ---
I know no CMS which does this well... :( It's more a Blog thing I think - This feature will be a hack - regardless which cms will be chosen

there is nothing that meets all of these and i expect lots of customization and modification is going to be needed no matter what we choose, but i'm still hoping to start with something instead of starting from scratch..

--- End quote ---
You are 100% right - there is nothing which offers all of those points and building from scratch is no option - it would grow way to complex. I personly would do this project on a Typo3 (dont hate me Carol ;)) basis with some self coded extensions and I would drop the flatfile requirement... Yes - T3 has a huge learning curve, but it is so incredibly powerfull - it's the C++ in the CMS space ;)

Carol Haynes:
(dont hate me Carol Wink)
--- End quote ---

No probs - it isn't me having to sort it out ;)

mouser:
I would drop the flatfile requirement... Yes - T3 has a huge learning curve, but it is so incredibly powerfull - it's the C++ in the CMS space
--- End quote ---

this might be acceptable; going to try typo3 now, though i am still hoping for something more minimalistic.

mouser:
where's allen!!!
if we all hold hands maybe we can wish real hard and he'll make a custom cms for us :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version