ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Issues in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 migration

<< < (2/2)

IainB:
Well, so far, there seem to be some really indifferent experiences with Win 8.0 and some bad experiences with Win 8.1 (I thought Win 8.1 was supposed to overcome the Win 8.0 limitations?).
Many people on this forum and others seem to be holding back and staying with Win 7 (those that want a Windows OS, anyway).
I think I'll just keep the migration on ice for a while and see how things pan out for Win 8.1 or maybe 8.2.
I only bought the Win 8.0 because the special price was about to run out, and so I thought I'd get it in anticipation of installing it at some later stage. But that stage is not now.
I am usually an early adopter of technology that looks useful, but not of OSes. You can end up investing a mountain of unproductive time in an OS, if it flaky.

x16wda:
My 2 cents:

I bought a new PC, Win 8 preinstalled, when my desktop box suddenly crashed and burned. I had not played with it before, and I found it awkward, unintuitive and undiscoverable. However, with the addition of a start menu program (Start8 in my case though Classic Shell works well too) and some other settings, I'm happy now -- basically because it stays in the Desktop (Win 7) interface.

To this point, there is nothing that I have found in the Metro/Modern interface that is uniquely useful enough to me to make me switch to that interface. If I had a touchscreen I would rethink - but I don't. Basically, like a lot of other software, Win 8 works great for me, and it has "features" that I don't take advantage of.

Value judgement: I had two PCs for my kids recent enough that I could get the 9.95 upgrade price. Did not take advantage of it for either.

Regarding 8.1, Darwin's post scared me off (and that accursed "Please upgrade! Drop on by the Windows Store now!" blue bar across my desktop has popped up several times so far).   :o

Stoic Joker:
Regarding 8.1, Darwin's post scared me off (and that accursed "Please upgrade! Drop on by the Windows Store now!" blue bar across my desktop has popped up several times so far).-x16wda (November 10, 2013, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tomos posted a link to this in another thread:

To disable the message run regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\UpgradeNotification

and change the value UpgradeAvailable from 1 to 0 or remove the Update KB2885699.

x16wda:
Thanks - it hadn't gotten annoying enough to make me do the edit yet, but would have soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version