ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Issues in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 migration

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
To be, or not to be...

On 2013-02-01, for $49.99, I bought Windows8 Pro Upgrade. However, I have held off installing it due to the advent of Win8.1.
After reading this: How to uninstall Windows 8.1 | How To - CNET, I have to admit to being a little uncertain.
I would be interested in the advice/experiences of DCF members regarding this migration.
My current OS is Win7-64 Home Premium, Build 7601.

Ath:
Did you see this thread ? : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32883.0

tomos:
This post from Darwin is not so positive about it - he was happy with 8 (upgraded) but 8.1 seemed to be a disaster:

Here's my list of issues:
-Darwin (October 23, 2013, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Re: So-called upgrades that ruin good programs

this thread would also be relevant to 8.1:
How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1

Stoic Joker:
Both of my primary machines (work & home) are still running Windows 7.

I have a laptop that sits by my chair in the living room incase I want to lookup or check something while watching TV. While this is relatively light usage, it is done at a time when I have very little (read 0) patients for taking crap out of an appliance (e.g. Couch potato = retarded vegetable with eyes), and it has performed its function quite well. It wakes quickly, connects, and does what it is told before the commercials are over and the show is back on.

I also have (or rather had) an HP ElitePad 900 tablet, but it self bricked a few (okay several) weeks back and HP is dragging their feet getting it resuscitated. Seems a part that they couldn't identify was on backorder for an indeterminate period of time ... But they were going to call me back (with yet another thrilling update) in 5 business days with an update...about 2 weeks ago.

IainB:
Did you see this thread ? : https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32883.0
-Ath (November 06, 2013, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks @Ath. No, I had not seen that particular one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version