ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR Plugin Request: RSS Reader

<< < (2/2)

phitsc:
The reason why most of the searches that come with FarrWebMetaSearch don't work is because FarrWebMetaSearch has a fundamental flaw: it gathers results by applying regular expressions on a web page's html. Unfortunately, a web page's html doesn't seem to be very stable (over time) :( In other words, when a web site provider changes their html (for whatever reason), these regexes become invalid or unusable and keeping them up-to-date would be quite a task I'm afraid.

That being said, FarrWebMetaSearch could be quite suitable for showing RSS feeds, because the RSS format is well-defined and never changes. Currently, FarrWebMetaSearch requires one file per site for definition. So to fulfill the OP's request, it would have to be changed / extended in such a way that it uses one definition file (defined for the RSS format) for many sites, as suggested by the OP. And then: reading is one thing, but you probably also want the functionality to mark items as read, to star items, to share items, etc. etc.

theMastermind:
The reason why most of the searches that come with FarrWebMetaSearch don't work is because FarrWebMetaSearch has a fundamental flaw: it gathers results by applying regular expressions on a web page's html. Unfortunately, a web page's html doesn't seem to be very stable (over time) :( In other words, when a web site provider changes their html (for whatever reason), these regexes become invalid or unusable and keeping them up-to-date would be quite a task I'm afraid.

That being said, FarrWebMetaSearch could be quite suitable for showing RSS feeds, because the RSS format is well-defined and never changes. Currently, FarrWebMetaSearch requires one file per site for definition. So to fulfill the OP's request, it would have to be changed / extended in such a way that it uses one definition file (defined for the RSS format) for many sites, as suggested by the OP. And then: reading is one thing, but you probably also want the functionality to mark items as read, to star items, to share items, etc. etc.

-phitsc (November 07, 2013, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand, thanks for explaining it.
As for the last part, well, I'd be fine with it simply showing the newest feeds first, marking them as read or sharing them isn't really something I'd really need in the idea I've posted in the first post. Just a simple feed reader that gives the newest feeds when you type in "rss website", probably with an option of refresh rate or something like that if it's needed.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version