ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Instagram ads arrive RIGHT when Instagram becomes available for Windows Phone 8

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
I find this very interesting from a business analysis perspective.
Windows Phone 8 has been out for nearly a year.  One major complaint has been there are no apps.  yes, the app store has thousands of apps.  but 99.9% of them either don't work, are buggy, are for WP 7, etc.  So really, there are no apps.  What's worse is that a lot of major apps, like Instagram, never came.  But now it is here, or will be in a few days.  I find it a remarkable coincidence that this happens the exact same time Instagram will implement ads for the first time.

So what's going on behind the scenes here?  let me know.  What is the real reason why the major apps have not implemented anything for WP8?  It for sure can't be because they don't have the resources. 

Shades:
Low market share of WP8 phones, maybe with restrictions that the app makers don't like, i.e MS wants too big of a cut from the already meager amount of money they would make from supporting this type of phone.

Don't get me wrong, the WP8 phone I have played around with (Lumia 720) looked decent enough and did what it did in a rather enjoyable way. Then again, my hands-on time cannot be more than 30 minutes in total, so what do I know.

superboyac:
So you're saying...
If Instagram wants to make an app for the windows phone, MS is going to make THEM (Instagram) pay for that?  Maybe this explains why there aren't many apps.

wraith808:
I think the cost for making apps is only on the back end, similar to the App Store, i.e. if I make a free app, it doesn't cost anything.  At least from my limited look at the development side, this seemed to be the case.  In fact, if I make a free app, then I have a chance of getting free stuff from MS.  So only if the app would be a pay app would MS get anything... just like the App store.  And instagram doesn't cost anything from what I know.

superboyac:
I think the cost for making apps is only on the back end, similar to the App Store, i.e. if I make a free app, it doesn't cost anything.  At least from my limited look at the development side, this seemed to be the case.  In fact, if I make a free app, then I have a chance of getting free stuff from MS.  So only if the app would be a pay app would MS get anything... just like the App store.  And instagram doesn't cost anything from what I know.
-wraith808 (November 03, 2013, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is what I don't get about these big software companies.  If what you say is true, then why didn't Instagram make an app several months ago?  Just assign one of their programmers and get it done in a week, it wouldn't take much.  So there must be more to the story.  There's gotta be some politics or something.  The way I see it, there seems to be a deliberate reason NOT to do it, because doing it would be so easy and logical.  So what is that reason?

When I ask questions like this, a lot of people say, well, when there's more of a demand, they'll do it.  But that doesn't make sense to me for Instagram or large companies like that.  I can see a team of 2-3 people waiting, but not a huge app like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version