ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CryptoLocker and CryptoPrevent

<< < (5/6) > >>

tomos:
Yeah, I was impressed by the quality of some recent PayPal spam as described by bit. It even fooled gmail's spam filters, and they're usually very good I find.

4wd:
Also, if you send the spoof email to your financial institution's fraud department, extract and send the full headers as well.
They're not normally sent if you just forward the email and they may help track down the phisher.

bit:
Actually what clued me in that the spoof phishing Paypal attack was bogus, is that nobody gets my actual email address.
I have a paid subscription to www.Sneakemail.com which allows me to create a unique email address for each new contact.
They only see that, not my real email address.
Sneakemail then forwards all contacts to my actual email address, which is set up using a Desktop web browser email software program.
And I can click on reply, and back it goes to Sneakemail which forwards it back to them, still hiding my 'core email address'.

When the Paypal phishing attack came in, it was from one of my other Sneakemail contacts, IOW; not from Paypal.
So I was immediately made aware that I was getting a supposed Paypal contact from a different party, who was not Paypal.
I don't like admitting this, but the truth is, if it wasn't for Sneakemail, I might have fallen for it before, although by now I'm much more aware of the danger.

Anyways, a second spoof Paypal phishing attack email came, and I set a 'rule' at Sneakemail to block anything from that email address containing 'Paypal' in the text body.
That stopped the phishing attacks, but then they started trying to sell me designer handbags and shoes from the same email address.
This was supposedly from the email address of someone who was a friendly acquaintance, but who was obviously not the person actually doing it.
So then I created a new Sneakemail contact for the person from whom the 'spoof Paypal phishing attack' supposedly originated, and deleted the old one, and that stopped.

However, I actually have received spam emails from Paypal, offering 'sale prices' to sell me designer shopping bags, shoes, and so on.
I have no idea how or why this happens, or if Paypal encourages it, or what.
But I set a new Sneakemail contact email address for Paypal, and reported the spam to Paypal, then deleted the old one, and that problem went away.
And in that case, Paypal did not confirm a phishing attack.

My 'core email address', my 'real one', remains free of further spoofs or phishing attacks.
And if they want to play more games, Sneakemail gives me what I need to deal with it.
The only thing Sneakemail can't do is add attachments directly; for that, you just send a quickie email to whoever asking them to reply back, then you add the attachment in your reply to them.

bit:
Also, if you send the spoof email to your  financial  institution's fraud department, extract and send the full headers as well.
They're not normally sent if you just forward the email and they may help track down the phisher.
-4wd (November 24, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see your signature reads 'Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help....
Just as a quickie post in an aside, here's a fix-a-flat idea for you that might amaze a few people (like it did for me).  ;D

4wd:
It helps if you never receive HTML email, (I never have nor will I ever accept it), makes links a little harder to hide ;D

CryptoLocker and CryptoPrevent

I see your signature reads 'Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help....
Just as a quickie post in an aside, here's a fix-a-flat idea for you that might amaze a few people (like it did for me).  ;D-bit (November 24, 2013, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've seen that, unfortunately it doesn't tell you how you fix the the 3" hole in the side of the tyre from where you staked it on a branch.
Answer: If you haven't got a spare tyre/tube, pack it with grass/clothes/etc and drive out.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version