ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2014

N.A.N.Y. 2014 pledge: Some sort of game (Didn't get it done :( )

(1/3) > >>

p3lb0x:
NANY 2013 Entry Information
Application NameUnnamedVersionPre-alphaShort DescriptionA platforming game, with adventure elements.Supported OSesWindows 7 (Probably older and newer as well)Download Linkhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1649320/Programming/NANY2014/nany2014.rarSystem Requirements
* Keyboard
* Mouse
* Windows

Description
I set out to create some sort of game, and the basic framework is almost done. Most of the work was based on what I learned and did in my SHMUP, a Löve2d story game. I ended up making a platformer which was suppose to have adventure'esque elements, but didn't get around to that.

Features
Jumpin' 'n' runnin'

Planned Features
I am hopefully going to get around to creating some levels and actually finishing it at some point after new years.

Screenshots

Usage
Installation
Unpack and run the executable

Using the Application
S and D for movement
H for jumping
J for hitting stuff with a bat (Which does nothing at the moment)
O to show collision boxes for debugging

Uninstallation
Delete the game, it also puts a small plain text file in %appdata%\LOVE\nany2014

Tips
Any tips for using it?

Known Issues
The position of the character goes haywire if you move the window around, I am not sure what's up with that

-- Original post --
SpoilerBasically I am going to make a game, not quite sure what yet but I have a few ideas. In case anyone saw my other topic SHUMP, a Löve2D story, they know that I still need to figure out what the game is about. So, any input on that would be fantastic. Also, I will try, once again, to keep a kind of log on progress.

As of right now I only have a startup screen and some early menu stuff going on. The display settings are also being loaded from a file and I hope to make it configurable from in game at some point, but it is not priority right now.

kyrathaba:
Perhaps a story-driven game, not terribly graphics intensive (as that takes much more effort), and one that can be completed within a few hours?

p3lb0x:
Possibly, that puts more emphasis on creativity and the ability to tell a story. I'd rather make a mostly gameplay driven game as that would allow me to keep programmer art and doesn't require a very well thought out story. ANYHOW, in the same vein as my SHMUP thread I will post video updates when I create features or otherwise feel like it.

Relatively smooth resolution change with scaling of graphics and added view range if the aspect ratio exceeds 1.33.

edit: OH GOD, that video messed up. sec, let me fix that

edit edit: fixed

edit edit edit: Pretty much done with the options screen, now to figure out what game to make.

The options menu takes the 20 largest fullscreen resolutions and lists them for the user to pick, it also saves the options in a text file so that they persist.

edit edit edit edit: started working on some actual game stuff. Decided on 2d platformer. We'll see how it goes. Spent an all nighter coding and listening to the wonderful soundtrack from Bastion, which I accidentally recorded while making the below video

edit edit edit edit edit: Got some basic animation working using Spritebatches and Quads to help optimize the drawing of graphics.

kyrathaba:
How's the game coming, p3lb0x?

p3lb0x:
Kind of hit a bit of a hitch where I can't quite decide what to do next. I think I'll set up sound though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version