ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

notepad2-mod: custom code folding for txt files?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Nod5:
Thanks for testing Shades. I'm leaning towards 1. the cloning idea.

dr_andus: I really want to stick to plaintext .txt files. They just work, on any platform. With space/tab indentation the notes would still be nicely readable everywhere, only with some additional fold/unfold commands when reading in Notepad2-mod or other texteditors with folding.

dr_andus:
dr_andus: I really want to stick to plaintext .txt files. They just work, on any platform. With space/tab indentation the notes would still be nicely readable everywhere, only with some additional fold/unfold commands when reading in Notepad2-mod or other texteditors with folding.
-Nod5 (October 26, 2013, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let us know if you come up with/find something like that, I would be also interested. In the meantime I also thought of NoteTab's outlining feature, but that creates a .otl file and is a two-pane outliner, not folding in a single-pane.

4wd:
In Notepad2-mod, if you remove all the colour styles from the YAML parser, add the txt extension to it, (and remove it from Default), then it will do folding in plain text files on TAB indents.

If you're not likely to use YAML for anything, this is probably the easiest way.

Nod5:
Jackpot! Thank you 4wd. Folding works. I specified the comment syntax (everything after #) as bold headings and any word suffixed with : gets color background. edit: three hypens ( --- ) at the start of a line triggers the "Document" syntax for YAML, which can be used as a colored horizontal line separator.

This is a very useful intermediate between "plain plaintext" and markdown.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/10/the-future-of-markdown.html

edit: I also got curious on markdown text editors. Turns out there are lots of them. But I'll stick to the newfound notepad2 formatting for now.

dr_andus:
Jackpot! Thank you 4wd. Folding works. I specified the comment syntax (everything after #) as bold headings and any word suffixed with : gets color background. -Nod5 (October 27, 2013, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would you mind sharing the file (if it doesn't contravene any legal or moral code)?

edit: I also got curious on markdown text editors. Turns out there are lots of them. But I'll stick to the newfound notepad2 formatting for now.

--- End quote ---

Most of those are for Macs, iOS or the web. I haven't come across that many decent Markdown editors for Windows. I tend to use WriteMonkey for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version