ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the day of the paid OS over?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
My setup for the last while has been:

1) Desktop - Windows 7 - running VMs inside with various flavours of Linux
2) iMac - OS X
3) Laptop - Windows 7

I've been using my Linux VMs more, and am getting more comfortable with Linux.

I've also found that OS X isn't really any better than Linux. I still end up needing to drop to the terminal (which I expect on Linux, but did not expect on my Mac).

My next machine will be server hardware running a virtual environment then VMs with Windows, OS X, and Linux.

I've started with Apple a bit... it's depressing, but I just haven't had good experience with Linux when I tried it before. I'm past the point of wanting to learn how to use something... I just want it to work.
-wraith808 (October 23, 2013, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of the biggest things, and one of the reasons I want to run a VE with shared storage. That way I can "get things done", but try to move over to Linux as much as possible with minimal inconvenience.

mouser:
This gets us back to our discussions of how the entire internet is becoming an advertising delivery platform.

Apple can give away the OS because they make a fortune on the hardware and they can kill off any competition that is charging for the operating system.

Google can give away its services and kill off all competition, as long as they are making huge profits off of forcing ads down our throats.

These corporations are always happy to make half their product free as long when doing so kills their competition and doesn't interfere with the way they are getting rich.

The real question I think we are going to be asking ourselves in a decade is, how can we get back to a world where we just PAY reasonable amounts for the things that we value.  Instead of playing this game where everything *SEEMS* free but in reality it's just a bait and switch or a delay until they become a monopoly.

I'm really starting to long for products and services that charge enough for each item/service to make a reasonable profit on that item/service.  What a crazy idea.

wraith808:
I'm really starting to long for products and services that charge enough for each item/service to make a reasonable profit on that item/service.  What a crazy idea.
-mouser (October 23, 2013, 09:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are... but most people aren't.

Look at the new iPhone 5c(heap).  The phone itself is $100... you can get it for $50 at wal-mart.  But you have to get a dataplan.  The $15 a month plan is a joke... so you're looking at $25 for 2 years + your voice plan- all to pay for a $500 (or less) phone.

It's the mentality of consumers today that's causing the switch.  They'd rather the hand taking from their pocket under the table rather than just putting the money in plain view.

Renegade:
This gets us back to our discussions of how the entire internet is becoming an advertising delivery platform.

Apple can give away the OS because they make a fortune on the hardware and they can kill off any competition that is charging for the operating system.

Google can give away its services and kill off all competition, as long as they are making huge profits off of forcing ads down our throats.

These corporations are always happy to make half their product free as long when doing so kills their competition and doesn't interfere with the way they are getting rich.

The real question I think we are going to be asking ourselves in a decade is, how can we get back to a world where we just PAY reasonable amounts for the things that we value.  Instead of playing this game where everything *SEEMS* free but in reality it's just a bait and switch or a delay until they become a monopoly.

--- End quote ---

+1 for all of that.

The other way that companies/industries kill off competition is through legislation and regulation. e.g. It costs over $1,000,000.00 (one million dollars) to drive a taxi in New York. It destroys the ability of normal people to enter the market.

None of these things are good for us in end-user-land.

--- End quote ---

I'm on the yes/no edge of the fence there. I'm willing to pay, but I'd rather go down the GNU GPL road, even if I'm paying. I'm more interested in using software that I trust, and the GPL gives a lot of credibility there. e.g. What is MS/Apple/Google doing under the hood? God knows. They've been complicit in dealing with the NSA, so we know that we cannot trust them. The GPL helps there.

rgdot:
The Apple hype machine is way too strong. Mavericks is not far from a SP or an upgrade like 8.1, both free. I have checked many "what's new" articles (because admittedly I am not a user) and if you have paid for 10.6+ (for example), why should this NOT be free?
-rgdot (October 23, 2013, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, there's a lot new over mountain lion.

A good overview - http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/

24 pages.  And it's not fluff.
-wraith808 (October 23, 2013, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hate to be argumentative but I really see too much 'enhancement' (like 'scrolling was unacceptable before but now this and that') in those pages.
But like I said I don't want to sound like I want an argument/discussion on this :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version