ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2 is in open beta !

<< < (10/20) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
One solution to get multiple snapshots would be to do like in the screenshots, and create a daily job that syncs to a folder called daily, and a weekly that syncs to a folder called weekly. That way, even if you screw up the daily snapshot, you have a weekly to fall back to.
-Jibz (October 23, 2013, 02:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, and my sync needs are very simple so I don't even do it monthly. "When I get bored" every few months or sometimes years is sorta my theme - because of all the "Cloudiness" of everything, I don't really mind losing a month's stuff of random notes. Just not to lose all of everything, ever. So because I for example already have that test sync done, because of the way I "collate and batch" stuff almost like "filed by month", I don't need 12 copies of my complete desktop - maybe two or three is fine, then I just drag "this month's folder" via boring old "drag and drop".

The first sync was just because I had no idea where anything was, so power-synced it. But new stuff would have to only be in like ten places. 

apankrat:

The Browse window - I hear you and I will be redoing it shortly. Though I am so NOT looking forward to it. But regarding the file dialog - got an example?
-apankrat (November 12, 2013, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

For instance SourceTree, when I click one of the '...' buttons to select a folder, I get a dialog like the one to select files, but one that lets me select a folder:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-Jibz (November 12, 2013, 07:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would you look at that ... apparently it's a standard Windows dialog, just a (much) less popular one.
Here's a code for it just in case if anyone else needs it - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/CppShellCommonFileDialog-17b20409

By the way, spot anything familiar? - http://bvckup2.com/wip/#24052013
-apankrat (November 12, 2013, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I like your font :-[ .. btw, I notice the bwckup in the header guard -- was the use of double-v a codename for bvckup 2?

--- End quote ---

I like your font too! :)

bwckup - yeah, it's an internal name. w = v+v = v2. It didn't work as a release name though - I ran a poll on the mailing list and lots of people said it sounded like aww or eww. Though technically either one is unpronounceable ... heh.

Jibz:
If any moderators would prefer I post stuff like this on bvckup's own forum please let me know, right now it's just easier not to have to sign up and figure out one more place :-[.

In the What to backup dialog, could there be a way to duplicate a rule so it's easier to create multiple similar rules?

Is there a way to exclude, say, files larger than 10 MB? I can only make rules for name and attributes I think.

Is there a way to edit the default set of rules? I may have some rules I would like to apply to multiple backups.

Would it be helpful with checkboxes next to the rules so they can be easily turned on/off?

apankrat:
In the What to backup dialog, could there be a way to duplicate a rule so it's easier to create multiple similar rules?
-Jibz (November 16, 2013, 03:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Noted, let me think about it.

Is there a way to exclude, say, files larger than 10 MB? I can only make rules for name and attributes I think.

--- End quote ---

No, not at the moment. Is this really needed? I'm guessing this stems from the need to skip over very large files, in which case they can typically be excluded by name, no?

Is there a way to edit the default set of rules? I may have some rules I would like to apply to multiple backups.

--- End quote ---

I am adding an option to edit backup defaults (i.e. a template for new backups).

Would it be helpful with checkboxes next to the rules so they can be easily turned on/off?

--- End quote ---

This I will not do. This is mostly static part of the configuration. A vast majority of people will configure it once and never touch it again, meaning that these checkboxes will just simply add noise to the UI and won't benefit that many users. It's a niche feature that optimizes very specific and rare usage scenario and as such I don't think it belongs to the UI.

Chris:
I am using the current beta and find it very good. I only want copies of files; not compressed files, so I have very easy retrieval. I use 2 type of backup; one is instantaneous to a second hard drive in the PC and second to a USB connected drive. This gives "instant" backup as well as a weekly snapshot.

The one feature that is missing BUT is promised is some form of version control. This will greatly improve the program for me.

Bvckup is a great tool, but it is not my only strategy to save my data.

I look forward to further versions.

Chris

Chris Harris
Adelaide
Australia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version