ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2 is in open beta !

<< < (9/20) > >>

apankrat:
Just to be 100% clear: both create a snapshot, which gets modified as your files gets modified. It doesnt create a new snapshot at each backup. [Just in case the "snapshots" query was also about some form of versioning.]
-tomos (October 22, 2013, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's correct. It does not create new snapshot on every run, it updates the one created on the first run.

Jibz:
Somehow it just makes me feel that all of that disappears with Deltas unless you have "perfect rollback to any point in time to recreate that day's files. Can your deltas do that?
-TaoPhoenix (October 23, 2013, 12:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try to think about Bvckup as a one-way sync app instead of a backup app.

Terminology like snapshots and deltas usually mean other things in backup software, but in the case of Bvckup, there is only one "snapshot" which is the last sync, and there is no delta encoding involved, it does "delta copy" which just means it copies only the blocks of a file that have changed while doing a sync.

One solution to get multiple snapshots would be to do like in the screenshots, and create a daily job that syncs to a folder called daily, and a weekly that syncs to a folder called weekly. That way, even if you screw up the daily snapshot, you have a weekly to fall back to.

Another simple option would be if apenkrat added support for adding a timedate stamp to the destination folder, so each time the job runs it syncs to a new folder.

But of course, using something like git content tracking would give a lot more options.

Jibz:
Finally had a chance to try it :-*. Here are a few random thoughts:

Usually there is a button to exit the installer without running the program, here the only option is to start the program.

When I pressed the Run Bvckup button at the end of the installer, it ran the program, but the window didn't come to the front. It was hidden behind my browser, and I had to click the icon in the task bar to bring it to the front.

For missed backups under periodic backup, perhaps an option to ask me if the backup should run now or wait?

Also, some people might want to schedule backups to run say Sunday night at 2 AM, it's possible to do this by selecting first backup to run Sunday night and setting the interval to 1 week, but perhaps there could be a more intuitive way?

I loathe the default Windows choose a folder dialog -- it's tiny, has little options, starts with all paths collapsed. Would it be possible to use the choose a file dialog instead like many programs do?

Perhaps a button on the main interface to show/hide the log instead of having to go into the Options menu?

An option to not show seconds once more than a minute or two have passed since last backup? I find the ticking seconds distracting on the interface.

Impression so far: Very nice UI and seems to work well.

apankrat:
Thanks, Jibz.

The installer can be closed with (x) if you don't want to run the program, though I just went by my own experience and assumed that very rarely people would want to install, but not run the app.

App window getting stuck behind others - thanks, fixed.

Missed backups - there's an option for that (sans the "ask" part) - http://bvckup2.com/wip/#04102013

Sunday backups - I would rather not over-complicate the UI to cater to people who can't figure it out just the way you did it. Consider it a natural selection to cut down on the support costs :)

The Browse window - I hear you and I will be redoing it shortly. Though I am so NOT looking forward to it. But regarding the file dialog - got an example?

The Log open/close button - just give it few days. Existing arrangement will grow on you. I had the button initially, because it seemed to make sense, but then realized I never actually used it.

Seconds - If I remove them after 5 minute mark, will that be better? As it is, they will get hidden once it gets over an hour.

--

By the way, spot anything familiar? - http://bvckup2.com/wip/#24052013

Jibz:
Missed backups - there's an option for that (sans the "ask" part) - http://bvckup2.com/wip/#04102013
-apankrat (November 12, 2013, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Browse window - I hear you and I will be redoing it shortly. Though I am so NOT looking forward to it. But regarding the file dialog - got an example?
--- End quote ---

For instance SourceTree, when I click one of the '...' buttons to select a folder, I get a dialog like the one to select files, but one that lets me select a folder:

The Log open/close button - just give it few days. Existing arrangement will grow on you. I had the button initially, because it seemed to make sense, but then realized I never actually used it.
--- End quote ---

Ok, I'll see how it goes ;D.

Seconds - If I remove them after 5 minute mark, will that be better? As it is, they will get hidden once it gets over an hour.
--- End quote ---

Sounds better yes. The reason I mention it was that I noticed, with the window open, that the changing seconds kept getting my attention and I checked the window even though there was no real change.

By the way, spot anything familiar? - http://bvckup2.com/wip/#24052013
--- End quote ---

I like your font :-[ .. btw, I notice the bwckup in the header guard -- was the use of double-v a codename for bvckup 2?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version