ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2 is in open beta !

<< < (5/20) > >>

Jibz:
Bvckup is not a system backup, it's a data backup. The principal difference is that it is not aware of things like bootable sector, MBR and other file system elements that are not files, but that are required for a successful OS boot-up. So while you can backup entire C:\, it will not give you a bootable image.

Basically the use-case for Bvckup is that of backing up your precious data, but not the program files or drivers or DLLs. Then, if the source collapses, you'd reinstall the OS and all the apps and then restore app's data from the backup created with Bvckup.
-apankrat (October 22, 2013, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I seem to remember we've discussed the name before -- I think "backup" gives people some associations about features like restore, compression, etc. As I understand it, what Bvckup does is one-way sync, which can be used for simple backups.

apankrat:
I seem to remember we've discussed the name before -- I think "backup" gives people some associations about features like restore, compression, etc. As I understand it, what Bvckup does is one-way sync, which can be used for simple backups.
-Jibz (October 22, 2013, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a matter of terminology really. To each his own. For example, I disagree that compression is an expected part of backup. Nor do I think that Restore should be a built-in app's function, especially if it"s essentially a thinly veiled basic file copy. I hear you that many people were led to believe that a backup without compression is not a "proper" backup, but that's not a reason enough for me to play along. This tendency to compete on the length of a feature list is very unfortunate.

In information technology, a backup, or the process of backing up, refers to the copying and archiving of computer data so it may be used to restore the original after a data loss event.
--- End quote ---

That's from Wikipedia too. If a program creates an archive copy of a file, primarily to protect against the data loss, it's a backup. It's really quite simple.

But that aside - have you tried the program? What do you think?

TaoPhoenix:
Notice on the last one I found a bug - changing the size of the window around seems to allow the background to "bleed through".-TaoPhoenix (October 22, 2013, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

You most certainly want to log a bug report with whoever made the themeing software that you are using. This is a bog standard Windows scrollbar that is not getting painted through. I just have *zero* control this.
--- End quote ---

And that vendor is ... Microsoft!
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061029/royale-noir/
"Royale Noir: secret XP theme uncovered

During Royale‘s development (the XP Media Center theme), the graphic artists also produced a black version of the skin, sans the overused “glass” effect. The result is an aesthetic black skin named “Royale Noir”, it even works with Office 2003.

Since the skin was never released (or reached final adjustments) there are a few issues with it: some of the colors don’t meet the overall “feel” (they’re too purple-ish compared to the greys of the bitmaps) and the inactive titlebars are a little too dark.

You’ll find it’s been signed by Microsoft and doesn’t require a custom UxTheme.dll in case there are any doubts as to its authenticity.
    This skin has not been released to anyone outside Microsoft, until now."

8)

TaoPhoenix:
Notice on the last one I found a bug - changing the size of the window around seems to allow the background to "bleed through".-TaoPhoenix (October 22, 2013, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

You most certainly want to log a bug report with whoever made the themeing software that you are using. This is a bog standard Windows scrollbar that is not getting painted through. I just have *zero* control this.

Ad because I selected "full copies not deltas", here is an example that the files came over.
--- End quote ---

You misunderstand what the delta copying is and I guess the explanation I have in the Backup Config window should be reworded -
 (see attachment in previous post)
Delta copying doesn't copy deltas and store them in a separate file. It copies them into the existing backup copy. Think of it as a selective, per-block update of the backup copy. Performance-wise it makes no difference on the first run, but on the second run in vast majority of cases it delivers significant speed up (over copying file in its entirety).
--- End quote ---

I'm not so sure that I am. Copy Files In Full creates "snapshots" in a point in time, right? So if I want one complete snapshot of the files several times in various destination folders, I don't want delta files in a continuous rolling single backup ... I think. This may be confusing because apparently my data processing style is a little unusual where I rely extremely heavily on my desktop and then down into "batched folders".

Then when I "finish something" esp something big, after like now when I have a file-complete backup copy, I might delete it from my desktop "front line copy". So then the next time I do another run, it has a different set of files. But also in case I am a moron and damage my backup, for really critical things it means there is an entire extra copy of it in the backup folder.

tomos:
What theme are you using Tao - is it a default XP one? Answered above

@apankrat: the logs look so nice and easy compared to your average log :-*
+
Query (similar to one in previous post) -
does it do versioning? (with apologies if stated above - have been following the events, but not very closely...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version