ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2 is in open beta !

(1/20) > >>

apankrat:
Hi guys,

I'd like to announce that my long-running backup project is finally feature-complete and available for public testing!

Check it out here - http://bvckup2.com - or read on for the summary and what's new in the v2.

--

Here's a couple of screenshots just to spruce up the thread, but go and see the website, there's plenty more.

Main window (with log panel hidden)

Backup config

--

As you may or may not know, original Bvckup was a simple directory cloning tool that I wrote for my own use back in 2009. What made it unique is its use of delta copying (whereby it would only copy modified parts of every file after the initial copy) and its real-time (continuous) backup mode. I put it out on the Internets just for fun and almost forgot about it as it was after all just a pet project. Then a year after I looked at some stats and there's nearly 1000 people of the mailing list and I was all o_O, hmm, interesting.

So I posted it on DC (here), Jesse reblogged it, Stephen reviewed it and I got a lot of useful feedback to mull over.

Long story short, last October I finally bit the bullet, sat down and started working on the Version 2 nearly full-time. It was a complete rewrite and it took about 8 months to get to the first shippable beta. That was in May 2013. Then it stayed in private testing with about 100 people for 5 months and eventually got ready for the open beta. Ta-da!

Short diff against the v1 is as follows:

*    A complete rewrite
*    Native 64 bit support
*    Faster and more robust delta copying
*    Excellent user interface - not to pat myself on a back, but it is really good
*    Major performance improvements across the board
*    Removable device tracking
*    Move / rename detection
*    Run-as-a-service support

*    Full year of full-time development
*    5 months in private testing with 100 people
*    Stable, robust and of a production quality

*    About 140,000 lines of C and C++ code
*    No dependencies on any 3rd party frameworks or libraries, only native Windows APIs
*    Executable file weighing in a shy under 600KB
*    Idle RAM usage - under 5 Megs
Having previously wrote firmware for firewalls and routers, I have a sticky preference for efficient and highly optimized code. I also happen to get a strong kick out of messing with pixels and so this puts me in an interesting position when I can comfortably wear several hats at once. Bvckup 2 is essentially of show case of that :)

Have a look, give it a try and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Alex

Jibz:
Looks great, looking forward to trying it out :Thmbsup:.

TaoPhoenix:
Have a look, give it a try and let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Alex
-apankrat (October 22, 2013, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, here goes! I am going to do a "live walkthrough"! Testing on a "slightly cranky" Windows XP box.

I work in layers so expect several posts and those to keep changing because esp for stuff like this I post thread replies "just to get them up there" and then modify them a couple of times. Then if a post threatens to get too long, I just start a new one!

apankrat:
Bring it on :)

TaoPhoenix:
The "EULA" - not bad, short and clean. Elsewhere in the thread someone can discuss that.

THE END-USER LICENSING AGREEMENT

between

Pipemetrics SA (the company) and you

for

a beta version of Bvckup 2 software (the software)

- 1 -

The software is provided "as is" with no explicit or implied warranties in respect of its properties, including, but not limited to, correctness and/or fitness for purpose.

- 2 -

You acknowledge and agree to bear the inherent risk associated with using the data processing software, the risk that may result in a complete or partial data loss and/or data corruption.

- 3 -

You agree to not hold the company, its employees and owners responsible for any damages that may result from using the software. Additionally, you agree not to recover from the company any damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages.

- 4 -

You are hereby granted a non-exclusive perpetual license to use an accompanying beta version of the software for its primary purpose, free of charge.

- 5 -

You cannot repackage the software.
You cannot alter or modify the software.
You cannot create derivative works from the software.
You cannot rent, lease, lend or sell the software.
You cannot transfer granted license to a third party.

- 6 -

Granted license is for a beta version of the software only.

To use a production version of the software you need a different license that can be purchased from the company separately.

- End of the Agreement -

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version