ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Skype users: beware (silver needle in the skype)

<< < (6/8) > >>

housetier:
Morality makes the greatest battlefield. What is illegal in one country can be totally acceptable in another; what is morally frowned upon by most people could be a legal (think law) requirement.

It is very difficult to *argue* on these grounds. I think it is more precise to make clear that the arguments come from one's personal opinion: I find this not so good because
--- End quote ---
or IMO this is acceptable
--- End quote ---
and similar.

It's about adding precision in order to avoid misunderstandings.

I don't agree nor do I agree with any of the above posts. If you feel agitated or even offended: that's your own fault!  :harhar: :tease:

NickW:
Somebody recently told me that (in his opinion) the object of art was to question, even attack, one's beliefs, points of view etc - that if a piece of art really annoyed you (he referred to something titled "Piss Christ" which, I guess understandably, rather upset some people) then it had succeeded.
This forum is a work of art!
Have a good weekend all.

svv1999:
What is illegal in one country can be totally acceptable in another-housetier (May 19, 2006, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perfectly true. In the former German democratic republic software was like carbon dioxide: once emitted everybody was allowed to use, copy and distribute it.

The problems with the Skype EULA are

1. you are not allowed to proof a hack in your copy of skype and are at the same time responsible for the consequences of that hack.

2. you can do what you want between the date of the termination of the license and the date of the deletion of all copy's under your control.

3. the period between both dates is unspecified.

4. Once terminated you can revive the license by simply getting a new copy and account.

rocky500:
I just looked up American law and found this.
"Reverse Engineering: University faculty, students, and IT professionals engage in reverse engineering for currently permissible purposes such as research and teaching, debugging, ensuring interoperability between systems, and security testing."

So I think the PDF could actually be legal (in most countrys) if done for debugging & security testing Purposes by IT Professionals or Students etc.

To me the PDF didn't steal anything.
I am so glad that people reverse engineer software to find security risks.
I do not want my Computer System compromised in any way.
I purchase software legally and I am so glad when People with good intentions find the holes before the bad ones do.
I'm from Australia by the way.

Intersting article here
http://lwn.net/Articles/134642/

Quote from Article (You got to feel sorry for America with all their teams of Laywers for the rich stuffing up their country just for finacial gain for a few)

"The recent flurry of rulings that reverse engineering of mass-market products is not fair use have tied one arm behind American programmers' backs while leaving everyone else free to compete with us. . . . These days I teach university courses (undergrad through doctoral) as a Professor of Software Engineering at Florida Tech. We have a lot of grad students from other countries. They are often surprised by our restrictions on reverse engineering -- they certainly don't have their hands tied by these restrictions in their companies.
The United States used to have a commanding lead in software development. We have been steadily losing that lead. Part of the reason for this is that for the last 15 years, lawyers for software publishers have been pushing for short-term advantages for their clients over the long term health of the industry. The ban on reverse engineering is just another example -- we are shooting the American industry in the head, with little actual benefit for anyone (publisher or engineer) in the United States, but plenty of benefit for engineers in all the rest of the world. "

mouser:
just posted:

Skype Technologies has updated its popular Skype Internet telephony software to fix a security bug that could expose sensitive data.

The flaw could let an attacker construct a Skype hyperlink which, when clicked on by the target, sends a file from the victim's computer to another Skype user, the company said in a security alert published Friday.
--- End quote ---

http://news.com.com/Skype+bug+may+expose+user+data/2100-1002_3-6074640.html?tag=cd.top

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version