ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1

(1/6) > >>

tomos:
It seems MS wants us all to use a Microsoft account to upgrade to windows 8.1

Took me a while to find a workaround, so I thought it worth a new thread:
After you install Windows 8.1, you will be asked to sign in to a Microsoft Live account. There will be no apparent way to move past that screen if your intention is to only have a local account. Here is the trick: Click the Create New Account link and then at the bottom of that next screen you will see a link that will let you cancel the process. You will then login using your local account.
Now what

Many users got caught by this poorly implemented log in process and ended up creating and / or using a Microsoft account to log in to their new Windows 8.1 operating system. Since that time, I have had several questions from readers asking if there was a way to reverse the process. There is and it is fairly straightforward.(techrepublic.com)
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

cranioscopical:
How did you get hold of 8.1 to begin with? I thought one had to have a Microsoft account to obtain the upgrade.

(I'm on such a slow internet connection that probably it is academic.)

Stoic Joker:
How did you get hold of 8.1 to begin with? I thought one had to have a Microsoft account to obtain the upgrade.-cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's on page 1 of Metro Shopping in Windows 8

(I'm on such a slow internet connection that probably it is academic.) -cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a 2.83Gb download.

Stoic Joker:
Laptop has been sitting plugged into AC power overnight at logon prompt. Now by AC power I mean hell no to sleeping, hibernating, or anything other than sitting their with its little digital "eyes" wide open like a coked up hyena waiting for its masters command.

I tap the touch pad to get back to the login prompt to be done with this inane horse shit.

I type my password, hit enter, and the screen goes blank ... It's supposed to be going to that stupid MS account prompt I'm now armed to dispose of.

It stays blank...

It's taking to long...

...Way to long...

So I kill the friggin' thing (hard boot).

It responds by auto-magically booting into restoring your previous operating system "mode". Note this isn't an 'option' ... One isn't given a choice ... it's a straight into the wall, fuck you, I'm leaving kind of response ... To a hard boot.

...Now I realize that a statistical sampling of one isn't supposed to prove shit to anyone...but God Damnit, this shit don't look good!

Hay, I'm back to the desktop of Windows 8.0 already! So I guess - on the plus side - if MS is going to rape someone in the ass with their jacked up delivery system...at least they'll do it quickly.

Shades:
@Stoic Joker:
If that is a problem for you...did you take already a look at the new BIOS'es that nowadays ship?

There is no option to say to ACPI to leave the system off after a power failure. At least on none of the Asus boards  that passed through my hands lately I could find that option anymore. The NSA sure wants to be able to read all your stuff at their leisure (and your dime!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version