ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Capture Card: my experience and unanswered questions

<< < (2/2)

4wd:
I can't get the setup yet where audio and video is synced, that's been the challenge.-superboyac (October 19, 2013, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume the camera is plugged into one of the HDMI inputs, does the camera output audio over HDMI also ?
Or are you using the 3.5mm audio input ?

And with the sync problems you've had, is that with a capture or streaming, (ie. input or output) ?

superboyac:
I can't get the setup yet where audio and video is synced, that's been the challenge.-superboyac (October 19, 2013, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume the camera is plugged into one of the HDMI inputs, does the camera output audio over HDMI also ?
Or are you using the 3.5mm audio input ?

And with the sync problems you've had, is that with a capture or streaming, (ie. input or output) ?
-4wd (October 20, 2013, 12:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
The sync is because I'm bringing the video through the hdmi cable, but the audio is coming straight from the computer.  If I were to use the audio from the hdmi cable, there would be no problem.  But I need the audio from my computer (which is all set up like a music studio), not the shitty mics on the camcorder.

Anyway, I've been looking more into this, and it's really a problem of this: most of this type of stuff is only done by pros, so it's an equipment issue.  For example, I found out that the professional type of cable to use for this sort of thing is an HD-SDI cable.  Only professional cameras (aka expensive) use this cable.  So I would need at least a $2000 camera.

Next is what this cable does.  Speed, basically.  It can send video feeds at a speed of about 3 Gbps (375 MB/s).  Now this means the hard drives need to be able to write at these speeds, which is really fast.  They need to be RAIDed.  RAID5 or something.  SO there's another headache.

Now also consider that you need a LOT of hard drive space if you plan on taking a lot of hours of video.  These raw feeds can be 6-10 GB per HOUR.  So a current large drive (4 TB) can hold perhaps 400 hours of footage.  And with the drives RAIDed (which means you need several physical hard drives to account for one drive of actual storage) that means that you need to get 3-4 4TB hard drives for every 17 days of continuous recording.  That's not much, i don't think.  And that's pretty expensive: every time you "fill up" you need to spend maybe $1000 for more storage.  $1000 for half a month of continuous footage.

So, I don't know...what my conclusion is.  But whatever.

4wd:
The sync is because I'm bringing the video through the hdmi cable, but the audio is coming straight from the computer.  If I were to use the audio from the hdmi cable, there would be no problem.  But I need the audio from my computer (which is all set up like a music studio), not the shitty mics on the camcorder.-superboyac (October 20, 2013, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah yes, I should have thought of that being a music recording.

The sync problem, is it a constant delay factor or does it slowly increase the longer it goes on for?

It might be that you'll have to try a few different programs, eg. in the analog recordings I used to do, video and audio were always out of sync, (using either the card supplied software or various free stuff), which resulted in a fair bit of screwing around in Vegas to resync them - I switched recording software and the problem disappeared.

So, I don't know...what my conclusion is.
--- End quote ---

That it's a really expensive hobby ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version