ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (12/12)

J-Mac:
Planning to do that tonight when I get back upstairs.
-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Naturally Windows 7 defaults to that when you first set up a network.

-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if you ever got your networking problem resolved - was the problem Win7 having "HomeGroup" set up as the default?
-mwb1100 (October 24, 2013, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yikes! Actually my first home network on Windows 7 did default to HomeGroup - Windows 7 does that unless you specifically configure it otherwise. In XP and earler versions I had always declined the "Simple File Sharing" choosing instead to set it up manually. And HomeGroup appears to be nothing more than a little polishing up of the old "Simple File Sharing" concept.

But I immediately discovered HomeGroup's limitations the first time I used it and - after doing a bit of web searching and article-reading on Windows 7 networks - I changed the configuration to Advanced Sharing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to obtain the same level of access that I did achieve on XP.   :(

BTW, I haven't yet looked at the user setups on my wife's machine... I have to do that - as well as ANY kind of maintenance - when she is not wanting to actually use her machine! If I go near it when she is in the office she gets a little... well... ornery.   :P  (Naturally I sometimes do this intentionally, but I have to be prepared, have an escape route planned or at least a couple of my kids to hide behind... Hey - I want to live!!)   ;D

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version