ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (10/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I had these two computers I had five XP machines in my house, and I could access ALL files from any one of the others. And I did not have the same user ID and password on more than one. Did it like that for a few years. So I don’t know why there's a discrepancy between what you say has always been the case and what I was doing!-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably got lucky with the OOB default of having Simple File Sharing enabled, which shares everything with everyone IIRC. Closest thing to that in 7 is a HomeGroup.

...But if I say HomeGroup one more time I think 40hz is going to shoot me. :D

J-Mac:
If you say it one more time I might shoot you!

Naturally Windows 7 defaults to that when you first set up a network. I guess it isn't bad for a lot of folks who don’t have many needs, but it is very limiting, at least for me. I hate HomeGroup!

Thanks!

Jim

Vurbal:
Probably got lucky with the OOB default of having Simple File Sharing enabled, which shares everything with everyone IIRC. -Stoic Joker (October 21, 2013, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like I said, simple = simpleton.

Closest thing to that in 7 is a HomeGroup.

...But if I say HomeGroup one more time I think 40hz is going to shoot me. :D

--- End quote ---

I won't shoot you but I may chip in for ammo.   ;)

4wd:
I have the ASUS stock firmware on my router. I haven't updated it yet. I was told in the past by ASUS Support - when I was planning to update firmware on an ASUS motherboard based on someone's suggestion - that I should never update their firmware unless I was having a specific problem and the newer firmware is supposed to address that problem. (True? Good advice?)-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Generally, if you're happy with the stock and there's no problems with it or you don't need the features an alternate provides, (Tomato, DD-WRT, etc), then just leave it as it is.

The RT-N16 can usually be recovered from a failed firmware update without a drama by putting it into recovery mode and then running the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility.

Stoic Joker:
If you say it one more time I might shoot you!-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I won't shoot you but I may chip in for ammo.
-Vurbal (October 22, 2013, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's just so much love in the room..

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version