ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (9/12) > >>

mwb1100:
No, I don’t have users setup on each machine for each of us. That was never a requirement on past OS's. Something new on Windows 7?
-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Are different user IDs being used on the different machines?  If so, then to network those user IDs may need to be on each machine (with the same password).

If you're using the same user ID on both machines, then the password should be the same on both machines.

When connecting to a non-domain machine, Windows will essentially logon to the remote machine using the user ID and password of the current account for many operations. 

When connecting to a remote share you do have the option to use alternate credentials (at least with some of the UIs - I'm not sure if "easy networking" provides the capability).  You might want to clear out any saved network connections in case they have cached an old set of credentials that aren't valid any more.

I think if you're having trouble, one decent troubleshooting step is to set up the machines so they have the same account IDs and passwords. It just makes it so there's one less area for Windows to trip up on.

Stoic Joker:
No, I don’t have users setup on each machine for each of us. That was never a requirement on past OS's. Something new on Windows 7?-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That has always* been the (incredibly annoying) case for workgroup file sharing for the reasons given by mwb1100 above. Only alternative would be to go the Home Group route which allows machines to pre-authenticate via group membership.

*By always I mean NT4 and up, since Win9x was a DOS not a NOS and therefore doesn't count.

40hz:
No, I don’t have users setup on each machine for each of us. That was never a requirement on past OS's. Something new on Windows 7?-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That has always* been the (incredibly annoying) case for workgroup file sharing for the reasons given by mwb1100 above. Only alternative would be to go the Home Group route which allows machines to pre-authenticate via group membership.

*By always I mean NT4 and up, since Win9x was a DOS not a NOS and therefore doesn't count.
-Stoic Joker (October 21, 2013, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh. Ok. I didn't realize that was the case. So rather than ditz witj my lengthy list of questions, why not just set up identical logins for you and your wife on both machines and see if that cures the problem. I'm very sure it will.
 8) :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I hear what you're saying.... but before I had these two computers I had five XP machines in my house, and I could access ALL files from any one of the others. And I did not have the same user ID and password on more than one. Did it like that for a few years. So I don’t know why there's a discrepancy between what you say has always been the case and what I was doing!

Jim

J-Mac:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Oh. Ok. I didn't realize that was the case. So rather than ditz witj my lengthy list of questions, why not just set up identical logins for you and your wife on both machines and see if that cures the problem. I'm very sure it will.
 8) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (October 21, 2013, 12:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Planning to do that tonight when I get back upstairs.   :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version