ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (3/12) > >>

CWuestefeld:
The thing about domains is that you need a domain controller. And getting that set up (and administered, with backups and everything) is a whole other skillset.

40hz:
Domains are easier IMHO.

They're not hard to set up per se. Hit the option to use a domain during the server setup and it's done. Windows server sets up the domain controller (plus baseline security) and handles all the heavy lifting for you.

After that you just have to understand what a domain is (and follow a few commonsense guidelines when you create groups and assign permissions) and you're set to go. You can get as complicated, or keep it as simple, as you like/need to. A good book plus a few quality weeks of playing with, screwing up, and reinstalling will teach you enough to successfully use one in a home or soho setting. Enterprise use is another matter as CUW mentions above. But for small simple networks with one DC, Windows Server is about as easy as it gets.  

FWIW, a lot of what seems fussy or arbitrary in the Windows desktop suddenly makes a great deal of sense once wedded to a Windows server. In many respects you don't realize the full power of Microsoft's desktop until you link it to one of their servers.

Vurbal:
The top one is the New version of (XP's) Simple File Sharing. So it's trying to combine file and share permissions into one thing.
-Stoic Joker (October 14, 2013, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

So that's what "simple file sharing" is doing? I have to admit that I always found it confusing -- NOT simple -- and so have avoided it since it came out.
-CWuestefeld (October 14, 2013, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

When the Microsoft terminology says simple you should read that as simpleton. As in the point is making it so even a simpleton (ie someone whose entire qualification to be a sysadmin is Microsoft's Dick and Jane certification manuals) can do it. To be honest the primary point is to make it seem like you don't need an experienced administrator because experience costs a lot more money than any server.

Whether you're running Windows or anything else that's simply not the case. The more you know, the more you are likely to deviate in various ways from the Microsoft roadmap (with NT 4 that included the sage advice to put your SQL Server in your DMZ because it didn't play well with IIS) and do things just as seriously and professionally as with any other system.

The fundamentals haven't really changed since before anyone here got into the profession. Once you figure out the right questions the answers become pretty easy to come by.

Domains are easier IMHO.

They're not hard to set up per se. Hit the option to use a domain during the server setup and it's done. Windows server sets up the domain controller (plus baseline security) and handles all the heavy lifting for you.

After that you just have to understand what a domain is (and follow a few commonsense guidelines when you create groups and assign permissions) and you're set to go. You can get as complicated, or keep it as simple, as you like/need to. A good book plus a few quality weeks of playing with, screwing up, and reinstalling will teach you enough to successfully use one in a home or soho setting. Enterprise use is another matter as CUW mentions above. But for small simple networks with one DC, Windows Server is about as easy as it gets. 

FWIW, a lot of what seems fussy or arbitrary in the Windows desktop suddenly makes a great deal of sense once wedded to a Windows server. In many respects you don't realize the full power of Microsoft's desktop until you link it to one of their servers.

-40hz (October 14, 2013, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't disagree with any of that, once again with the stipulation that the key is understanding the concepts and fundamentals going in. Once you've got that down all the tools are there for relatively straight forward implementation.

Stoic Joker:
Domains are easier IMHO.

They're not hard to set up per se. Hit the option to use a domain during the server setup and it's done. Windows server sets up the domain controller (plus baseline security) and handles all the heavy lifting for you.-40hz (October 14, 2013, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

+10 :D I'm rather fond of saying that Active Directory has only two states of being, DNS is configured and working properly, and shit hit the fan. The defaults work just fine ... Okay, lack of a RDNS zone bugs me...but its absence is harmless...it just really bugs the crap out of me.

CWuestefeld:
Active Directory has only two states of being, DNS is configured and working properly, and shit hit the fan
-Stoic Joker (October 15, 2013, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

That is the thing. Getting it set up and running and normal isn't a big deal. But wait until 5 years down the road, when that machine's dying and you need to get a new DC handling the domain. I know this is possible -- corporations do it all the time -- but I've been completely unsuccessful in figuring out how to completely replace a DC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version