ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google to Sell User Profiles, Photos in Ads

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Assuming you are logged into google services try this link:

https://plus.google.com/settings/endorsements?hl=en-GB (in the UK)

You can untick the endorsements settings at the bottom and click save.

I don't use (and don't intend to use) Google+ but even so because I use GMail this is still set in my profile!!!

Anyone else think it is immoral that user data is used and they sneak it through knowing that only about 1% of people actual look at T&Cs.

This is the sort of setting that should be set to off by default and a screen pop up to ask you whether you agree when you login (with a no nag setting).

Google's motto of do no evil seems to have gone right of the window. This is basically theft by T&Cs that most won't read.

If everybody read every word of every T&C they agree to (and all the updates designed to bamboozle and obfuscate what is going on) there would be nothing done in the world other than reading T&Cs !!!!!

wraith808:
^ That's the same link above :)

TaoPhoenix:

I just thought of something.

"Over on the other side of the fence" someone seems to have made HIPAA stick for med records. The kind of *arrogant* in your face Vader-ian "Pray I do not abuse your data more" would NEVER fly over in the medical world!

But insurance companies are now known to be quietly mining the same info "informally" posted from people's Facebook Walls etc!

I wonder if a 750 billion dollar fine would wake someone up?

Stoic Joker:
"Over on the other side of the fence" someone seems to have made HIPAA stick for med records. The kind of *arrogant* in your face Vader-ian "Pray I do not abuse your data more" would NEVER fly over in the medical world!
-TaoPhoenix (October 13, 2013, 01:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, like the HIPAA laws are even that organized to start with. Sure they're trying to enforce encryption in/on/for laptops that are used in the medical field even if they don't even store data...they just get used to access systems that do. But if someone breaks into your practice and steals said laptop (which contains jack shit) you can get fined 7 ways to Sunday.

Yet with this kind of draconian horseshit floating around We still get the receptionist at the office informing one of my staff that his prescription is ready...because someone from the doctors office just called our office and blathered it to the front desk.

(For those that can't put it together on their own ... Announcing to someone's employer that they have been prescribed any medication for any reason, is bad.)

So what did those of the HIPAA ilk solve in this scenario?? Nothing ... Derrrp!

lanux128:
hmm.. the idea that a company that gets by with revenue from ads is actually going to launch a pro bono social platform for its "users". i believe the bookies stopped taking bets on this one a long time ago.

still relevant

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version